Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Microwave Safe Containers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Microwave safe Reply with quote

Is there any symbol used to understamp the container to show it is microwave safe?

Larry wrote:
Let’s get a grip. Microwaving food is a good thing. Microwaves are non-ionizing, and do not leave any residual radiation of any sort. It’s good because it kills the micro organisms in the food that you are cooking or defrosting. You know the ones that can make you sick (like salmonella). Don’t use plastic, use Pyrex.

Larry
Khathi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Considering the many plastic issues, even still I only use it for short-term cold temperature applications to reduce leaching. A wine barrel is an awesome idea. I have no idea how voluminous 25kg of wheat is.

Wine barrels are also often burned or smoked inside, to impart special flavours to wines or spirits, so barrel should be new and non-treated. And better to soak it with clean water, as barrels tend to be not airtight when newly done. Most woods also leach into the content if it's liquid. That's why oak barrels are so sought after in brandymaking.

About 25 kg -- just remember one simple estimate: 1 kilo ~ 2 pounds. So 25 kg of wheat is about 50 or 55 pounds, a size of rather largish paper bag.

Quote:
Regarding your bird feed: I think your galvanized can is _probably_ fine, for several reasons:

If the container in question is steel, that I suspect, than it itself is rather safe, especially if laquered/enameled. But galvanization leaver the question of what coating is use. Often is is galvanized with some nonferrous metal that might be unhealthy itself, such as copper. Tin and zinc is usually best solution, but I still prefer enameled steel, as most enamels are in fact rather dense and nonporous glass compounds, are really durable an are generally food-grade from the start -- I never met non-food-grade enameled containers, in fact.
Katy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Microwave safe Reply with quote

Larry, Microwaves can be used to kill microorganisms but the food would have to be kept at boiling temperature for at least ten minutes to do so. Any food that had been microwaved for ten minutes after it had reached 210 F would be pretty uneddible.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you cook food, aside from making the flavors, textures and consistency more palatable, you kill microbes that would be found in normally healthy meat, poultry, fish and vegetables. We don't knowlingly eat contaminated or tainted food. The purpose of cooking is not to sterilize food. Sterilzed food (with the exception of soups that simmer a long time) would probably be overcooked, burned, dried out or just generally not very appetizing.
marge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: lexan countertop ovens Reply with quote

I wonder just how safe are the polycarbonate countertop ovens, wondering if they leach toxins while heating and cooking food even tho' no contact is made with the food. Does anyone have an answer for me? Thanks
blagos@tycoint.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Microwave Safe Reply with quote

I often see this term "Microwave Safe" used on containers, plates, etc. How is this determined? Is there some sort of standard test that products must follow in order to be labeled as "Safe"? Or is there no real maning to this term?

Thanks,

Bryan Lagos
blagos@tycoint.com
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Microwave Safe Reply with quote

blagos@tycoint.com wrote:
I often see this term "Microwave Safe" used on containers, plates, etc. How is this determined? Is there some sort of standard test that products must follow in order to be labeled as "Safe"? Or is there no real maning to this term?

In the U.S. that label can only be placed on containers that are constructed of materials that have been determined by the FDA to be safe for use in a microwave oven.
AlexR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Zak Reply with quote

I have been unable to find any source which explains the use of petroleum as a coolant in nuclear power plants.

Could you cite one or two for me?
ponkan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: nuclear plants and petroleum Reply with quote

He didn't say that nuclear plants cool with petroleum -- most use evaporative (water) cooling, which is the purpose of the familiar concave tower. The extra heat is used to power the distillation of petroleum into components. This method of using the waste products of whatever generation technique is called "cogeneration".

Put another way, power plants (coal, natural gas, nuclear) produce electricity and heat. The heat is usually just exhausted into the atmosphere. But if there is some process that requires heat to work -- petroleum distillation for example -- it makes sense to take that "waste" heat and put it to use. This way you get more out of your fuel, you can usually increase your power plant efficiency (this is important since they typically have an efficiency of about 30% or less).
aguest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: food grade plastic and the FDA Reply with quote

The FDA is bought and paid for by the producers of the products it is supposed to regulate, namely the pharmaceutical and plastics industries. The fact that FDA endorses food grade plastics as safe means absolutely nothing to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An acquantance uses ice cream containers for reheating large amounts of food - some times a gallon at a time. He is not convinced there is any harm in this. I can't believe there isn't. My ``gooleing' efforts brought me here - is there documentation someplace I can show this fellow?
Thank you
K3DE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Pyrex utensils Reply with quote

Seems pyrex manufacturers are missing opportunity to make spoons etc. that can be left in larger containers of materials while being microwaved.

Obviously, using plastic or metal stirrers is awkward and time consuming.

Stirring, using pyrex (that remains in the food) would be very simply done!
Plasticsguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: LArge food storage container Reply with quote

You can use a 44 qt cooler to store your wheat, I believe the cooler material must be FDA listed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to find a local supplier of bulk goods such as your local cooperative food store. . They often receive products in 5 gallon, food grade buckets. It is what I use to store flour.
Jk5552

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Gooleing! Reply with quote

Pyrex doesnt make spoons? OUTRAGEOUS!!! thats so gooleing!
im going to throw metal bird seed at Pyrex for that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: