Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Dark Chocolate Souffle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How can there be any remaining? Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
This sounds delicious, but why are there two steps for folding the egg whites? Where you wrote:

"Adding the whites a little at a time, fold them into the chocolate mixture."

and

"Without over mixing, fold the remaining egg whites into the batter."

How can there be any egg whites "remaining" if I do the first folding step?

That's just a continuation of the previous step... two photos, so I broke it up into two descriptions.
Nobody special

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Been looking for ages Reply with quote

Dude. I been looking everywhere for this recipe. Stopped after a while. kinda gave up. But decided to give it another go. I got a friend overseas that I have not met in person Smile . Hope to make it for her for christmas this year. Thanks alot.
Streetcat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Sizing adjustments Reply with quote

The only ramekins i managed to get seem to hold about 120 ml. Should i just apply the same quantities and fill three instead of two, or are there any more adjustments i should make? {For instance, will it still bake right within the same time, even though the volume is smaller?}

Btw, thanks for the most comprehensive recipes site on the internet! :=D
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sizing adjustments Reply with quote

Streetcat wrote:
The only ramekins i managed to get seem to hold about 120 ml. Should i just apply the same quantities and fill three instead of two, or are there any more adjustments i should make? {For instance, will it still bake right within the same time, even though the volume is smaller?

You probably don't have to make any adjustments to the ingredients, but you might need to shorten the baking time. It also depends on the shape of the ramekins - a smaller diameter (higher sides) works better than a larger diameter (low sides - like the ones used for creme brulees). The time needed will more or less be a guess at this point, so I'm going to hazard 12-13 minutes?
Streetcat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: my ramekins suck :={ Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response!

I suspected that, about the taller ramekins being better, and now you confirm. I measured mine: they are 4 cm high, and expanding {that's bad too, right?}, so diameter is 8.5 cm on top and 5.5 cm at the bottom.
They're also made of fail... i mean foil, instead of ceramic.

I actually found a place that sells the good kind {ceramic, streight sides, like on the photo}, but only after i got the mpression they can't be found and bought the alumnium foil ones. So i wanna try making it in those, and if it fails, i'll get the good ones. :=}
Wolvie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to make it today but it didnt rise that much.. I used 35% whip cream, is that too heavy? also I didnt get the part where I got the egg whites to soft peak, how can i keep beating when its already in the mixture to reach stiff peaks? thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolvie wrote:
also I didnt get the part where I got the egg whites to soft peak, how can i keep beating when its already in the mixture to reach stiff peaks? thanks!

You should beat the egg whites to stiff peaks once you incorporate the sugar and cream of tartar - before you mix it into the chocolate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: reheating souffle Reply with quote

if i have baked these souffles correctly in the first place can i turn them out of the moulds and reheat in the microwave or oven and still get them to rise a little. if so for how long do i rehaet them.
in essence i am asking can you bake them again before serving and if not this recipe do you have another recipe for a twice baked souffle?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: re large chocolate souffle (no ramekins involved!) Reply with quote

On November 08, 2007 at 10:44 PM

I posted a question about making a huge large choco souffle!!

Results - a bit late - but better now than never!!

IT WORKED

I had two gorgeous HUGE chocolate souffles, that were really outta-this-world.

Thanks!
Anne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was fantastico!! Thanks for posting this recipe...even so long ago and people love it- it was easy to follow...the pictures were most helpful as I was worried if I was doing everything correctly, since it is not the easiest thing to make. I can't believe I made Chocolate Souffle Smile It was delish and I watched it rise- so awesome...thanks again!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: souffle's Reply with quote

what do i need to do to bake this at 7200 feet in a gas oven? The oven is a Wolf for residential.
anatale101@verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Souffle Reply with quote

Wondering if 8 oz coofee cups would wok.I think it would make a nice presentation,they are brown, and I also would be able to use the matching saucers.I am having a dinner party next week and cant wait to try.I love thet fact that you stated that it could be made hours before
Thanks
pc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: souffle Reply with quote

The process here is off, hence the souffle rose very little as it should have about three times the height. It looks to dense also, more like a brownie.
Do not use Pam like someone before had mentioned, do you really want chocolate and eggs, which are in the scheme of things delicate flavors, to have that artificial flavors. Just make sure your butter layer is thin and up to the rim, dust with sugar.
Also, melt your chocolate first, remove from heat and quickly add butter stirriing to incorporate thoroughly. Then stir in the cream, warm the cream slightly first. This way your chocolate will not sieze as it has done in the picture. Souffles also benefit from a smidge of alcohol, giving the souffle more of a lift. Add an extra egg white when whipping the meringue. This should give your souffle a lighter texture and higher rise.
Tina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Dark Chocolate Souffle, Yummy!! Reply with quote

Big smile Thank you so much for this recipe. I was a 'souffle virgin' but had just the right amount of ingredients and it came out soo heavenly!! Disbelief I was soo amazed!! I watched as it rose in the oven, and it was soo fun to make it too. Thank you again Smile
Majesty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: No heavy cream Reply with quote

In Holland (where I live) they don't sell heavy cream (well, maybe the occasional British shop in the occasional big city). Can I also use normal 'whipping' cream, which contains 30% fat?
Is there a variation possible with 100 grams grained almonds? Of course I could just try it out, but I'm prepairing for the Easter meal and rather don't fail with an experiment that doesn't turn out to be good.
Thanks beforehand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: