Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Dark Chocolate Souffle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Heavenly Chocolate Souffle Reply with quote

I you want to buy a very good souffle you can find it online at www.heavenlysouffle.com. delicious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Souffle life? Reply with quote

Serve immediately?!!!!!! Is there a way to store them for a day or two? Fridge/Freezer? I have searched high and low on-line for hours and no luck. No one knows the answer, please help!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: beware of the extra egg whites Reply with quote

i used 3 eggs whites instead of 2 to try to achieve extra rise. the extra rise was minimal and it made the texture spongy which i did not like.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Souffle life? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Serve immediately?!!!!!! Is there a way to store them for a day or two? Fridge/Freezer? I have searched high and low on-line for hours and no luck. No one knows the answer, please help!

They are perfectly safe to eat if you store them in an airtight container at cool room temeprature for a day or two - but you'll never get the same rise out of it as you did when you first baked them. Reheating will cause the bubbles to inflate again, but not nearly as much as the first time. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven. (Microwave seems to actually work better for me, but make sure your ramekins are microwave safe).

In general, a reheated souffle will be noticed by your guests and is not the same experience, so prepare as many other dishes are you can before and plan the souffle to be pulled out of the oven minutes before serving.
Bugsy151

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Milk Chocolate Vs. 70% Dark Chocolate Reply with quote

In response to the question regarding milk chocolate vs. the 70% dark chocolate specified in the recipe:

There is a much higher fat (or similar substance that varies depending on quality) content in milk chocolate than in other darker chocolates. In short, the darker the chocolate, the less other stuff and the more cocoa. The fat will lend extra liquid to the recipe and nudge the end result towards being soupy. I believe that this is why 70% cocoa dark chocolate is specified. You could use a higher % cocoa content chocolate, although it is hard to find. You would want to add slightly more sugar to offset the increased bitterness. Always use quality chocolate as cheaper chocolates (like Hershey's) actually uses cocoa substitutes that take away from the deadly nature of the chocolate souffle.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the chocolate souffles for a dinner party last week. I quadrupled the recipe, and it gave enough batter for 12 souffles (I made 10 and put the left over mix in the freezer - I will see if it still works after freezing later.) I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao bitter-sweet chocolate which gave a very dark and chocolatey result. I served the souffles with a scoop each of pistachio gelato (store bought), and some marinated strawberries on the side (not sure what they were marinated in - my friend provided them).

I made the batter and put into the dishes ahead of time, refrigerated it for a couple of hours, then left it out to warm up before baking for about another hour and a half. The rise was good, and the results delicious!
Don317

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Souffle Reply with quote

The recipe is good, very simple, very good results. A finishing touch is to dust the top of the souffle with confectioners sugar after it comes from the oven. Just put a some of the sugar in a fine sieve, than lightly tap it while holding it over the top of the souffle.
Louise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: hard butter Reply with quote

The person who asked about hard butter: I wonder if that's what my family calls "hard sauce" and makes to serve with the flamed plum pudding at Christmas Dinner.

Hard sauce is butter, softened at room temperature, with lots of sugar and brandy and a bit of vanilla whipped into it, and then put back in the refrigerator.

You can then put a little dollop of it on a hot dessert, and it melts and gives you a wonderful aroma and flavour and alcohol fumes.

Leftover hard sauce is also very good on toasted raisin bagels, or (if your leftovers last a long time) on Hot Cross Buns at Easter.
Scott Seltzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Muffin tins ok Reply with quote

I'm not so sophisticated as to own ramekins and once I had my thoughts on the chocolate souffle I couldn't wait, so I used muffin tins and the recipe turned out fine.
LorraineB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: a nice sauce for chocolate souffle Reply with quote

Tonight I made chocolate souffles and for the sauce I combined over medium heat (all amounts are *totally* approximate - I just started combining stuff until I had the right consistency - a thick syrup):

1 T butter
3 T regular sugar
4 T Cointreau
1 t Angostura bitters

Melt the butter in the pan, add the sugar and allow it to dissolve, stirring with a whisk. Add the cointreau and bitters, reduce the heat, cook slowly. I then removed it from the heat and let it sit while the souffle baked and we had dinner. All told it probably sat in the still-warm pan for about an hour. I think the alcohol cooked off as it tasted much more mellow in the end. I pooled this sauce on a plate and plopped my 2 little chocolate souffles on it, then dusted it all with a bit of confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar).

An alternative to the Cointreau would be orange extract, although the flavor would not be as complex and intriguing as it was with the cointreau.
Beth^__^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Delicious! Reply with quote

Asbeing only 14 and being able to make these soufflés (with a little help from my mum, ofcourse xD) is, I feel, a big achievement for myself. As I am taking Food Technology for my GCSE studies, I decided to try and bake something that lots of people are very scared to make - a souffle! So before I made one in class I decided to try it out the night before, using your recipe, and the results were fantastic! A little over risen, but that can be improved. My mum & sister both loved them, so I was then excited to make them at school.
The only problem was that I used a higher concentrate of chocolate, and being rather inexperienced at souffle's, I did not add any more sugar, so the results were very bitter. But my food teacher still liked it, so that's always a plus ^__^ & I now know that next time I'll stick with the 70% chocolate.

Thankyou very much for this recipe, it is very easy to follow and having the pictures is an excellent help ^-^
Julius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Chocolate souffle Reply with quote

Thanks for your blog. It really helped me with my souffle. Pictures and notes are posted at:

http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com/

Cheers!
roser17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: for how many? Reply with quote

how many souffles does this recipe make? or how many will it be enough for?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: for how many? Reply with quote

roser17 wrote:
how many souffles does this recipe make? or how many will it be enough for?

It's for two, but the recipe scales easily.
Reldan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe, detailed instructions, and pictures. I've never made a souffle before and just got done testing this out (and enjoying the results). I'll be making this for my girlfriend in the near future.

My substitutions were to use a simple store-bought Semi-Sweet Ghireldeli chocolate bar instead of 70% Bittersweet, although I do plan on trying it with a nice 70% chocolate now that I'm confident I can make this come out right. I also used vanilla sugar (made by keeping vanilla beans in a container with sugar) which I felt added a mellow vanilla taste that complimented the chocolate quite well.

I had significant problems beating the 2 egg whites in my kitchenaid which were solved by adding a 3rd egg white and a pinch of salt. I think there simply was not enough of the whites with only two eggs to physically fill the mixing bowl to the height that the whisk spins. Once the 3rd egg was in, it only took about 2 minutes for soft peaks and then another minute for stiff peaks to form.

My girlfriend is lactose intolerant, so I'm hoping that the roughly 1/2 oz. of heavy cream in the recipe won't be too much for her - do you have any suggestions for a good substitution though?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: