Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Dark Chocolate Souffle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
global foodie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: thank you Dilbert! Reply with quote

Thanks so much for lending your eye and expertise, Dilbert! You have saved me from a lot of experimentation and failure, no doubt!

BTW, the souffle pancakes are only about 1" high. Perhaps the photo in the link below shows them better. The photo you were initially looking at is showing them stacked sideways, almost standing on their sides, on top of each other. There are 3 pancakes, so one in the back is providing false height to the others showing in front.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/37/451863/1534586/hawaii-cream-pot-cream-pot-photo

If you would be so kind to comment again, with the new info and height of 1 inch, re whether one could spoon them. Also, could you speculate whether the souffle pancakes could have been made with an egg ring type collar, which might have helped the height. They seem so circular in the photo.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are nicely round - seems something was used to contain them - unlikely one could spoon it onto a griddle so "perfect"

an egg ring is a good starter - some experimenting needed (g)
global foodie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: souffle pancake with egg ring Reply with quote

Thanks, Dilbert! I will test with an egg ring, and also go to the Williams Sonoma store to see what else is available. I will let you know.

Do you think that extra large eggs are a problem for this recipe? The extra egg white might be in between 2-3 egg whites of L size eggs if I use XL eggs, and maybe the yolk will not be substantially more. So maybe a fluffier batch but not enough to ruin texture?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>XL eggs

didn't find an actual recipe - only the photos.

XL are about 12% heavier than Large. depending on how much quantity you're making, unlikely to be a major impact.
global foodie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: using the chocolate souffle recipe above Reply with quote

Thank you, Dilbert! I will go ahead with the substitution of the XL eggs! In my location, the XLs are the sale egg size, so the ones we always get.

Yes, I only gave the link for the photos, which is all I have for now. Sorry. I am planning on trying the recipe given in this blog above, the chocolate souffle, for the pancake version and the ramekin version.

I might try it with all 3 versions, silicone, ramekin, and egg ring, with my first test of the chocolate souffle recipe, before my guests arrive. After your advice, I am going to just try my small silicone floral muffin mold (set of two 3-inch flowers) as a substitute for the egg ring, along with testing the egg ring and the ramekin. I will report back.

Do you have any thoughts on how a convection oven (counter top glass bowl with convection heating lid) would work with this souffle recipe? Thank you again!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a wall oven, which does have a "convection" mode. no experience with the counter top type models.

rarely use the convection thing; way too old fashion.

in big broad brush strokes, "convection" circulates the (hot) air more forcefully. a souffle rises because the entrained air bubbles "expand" when heated.

increased hot air circulation could cause the souffle to "skin over" too quickly and perhaps inhibit the rise - but as I have no experience, can't offer any solid first hand advice as to counter tops.

>>egg rings
I have a batch of "old style" cat food cans - top & bottom cut out. newer styles don't have a bottom one can "remove" . . .

I use them primarily for English muffins - but the size / height might work with the pancake approach.

you could also try a higher ring cut from parchment baking paper - just staple it together . . . might not turn out perfectly round.
global foodie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: thank you! Reply with quote

Yes, I can see what you mean regarding skinning over too early. Thank you for that insight!

The new convection ovens are being used as microwave substitutes. So, yes, old technology, but a new generation of users. I am making ouefs en cocotte (baked eggs on leftover veggies etc) with it regularly. Clear glass bowl lets me see easily, and stop the cooking as soon as the egg becomes opaque (which means soft set for the whites and very runny for the yolks, which is how I like my eggs).

Thank you for the parchment and cat food can thoughts. I probably have a tuna can, which would be similar.

I just got a tray of eggs (30), so am now ready to start experimenting with souffles. Big smile

Thank you for everything, Dilbert! Have a nice weekend!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the trials! keep us posted.
the souffle pancake pix look darn good!
don't forget to post your final recipe.

>>baking forms
there are the odd ball products still in the three pc can (top-bottom-body) but they are a semi-rare. hence my coveting of my 'old' collection.
global foodie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: The strawberry souffle pancake inspired me Reply with quote

Dilbert, thank you for the good wishes! Glad that you liked the pix of the souffle pancakes!

The strawberry ones I ate were out of this World and were much prettier than the ones in the pix I found online. The made-from-scratch whipped cream (slightly sweetened) was divine, mounded on top. It had strands of perfect strawberry syrup zinged across the soft whipped cream, with more syrup and luscious sweet strawberries alongside the pancakes. I totally failed to take a photo before diving in and devouring them. At $15 or $16 for 3 little pancakes, scrumptious or not, I might not return to have them again.

None of the pancakes are flavored, like chocolate. Only the topping changes. But, I could totally see chocolate pancakes.

Yes, I will definitely post. But, it could be a week or two, depending on how trials go. Smile Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the people who requested a substitute for heavy cream, try using canned coconut milk, the full fat kind, in the same quantity.
Willa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: No-Fail recipe Reply with quote

I have been using this recipe for about 10 years and it never fails
Lruss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:42 am    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote Delete this post

Many Thanks! I’ve used your recipe 3 or four times now (since 2017). The first time was the best, they rose about 6 inches! Can’t duplicate what I did but your recipe is outstanding, Many Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: