Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Dark Chocolate Souffle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the recipe makes two ramekins - so you should not need to adjust either time or temp in baking.

for a smaller batch, just half everything - I suspect one yolk, two whites - that might produce a little extra.
quarkz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I just tried yesterday. Unfortunately, it was a failure. The top was burnt and it didn't raise evenly, instead it is like a mountain. So any idea what happened?

I guess maybe it has to do with uneven mixing of the chocolate mixture and the egg white. My temperature was 190deg c and I wonder if it is too high.

Thanks!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 190'C temp is right - so burnt on the top could be

- the actual oven temp is hotter than 190'C as set by the control
- baked too close to the top - use middle or lower shelf
- a natural consequence of the volcano effect.

the volcano effect often comes if it bakes too fast - the outside sets up before the center has expanded and as the center continues to bake it "erupts"

use a separate thermometer to check the oven temp - that's the easy part.

the ramekin / baking container can also play a role - to thin / too heat conductive and the outsides bakes quicker.

you can also use a water bath / "bain marie" to help with that problem.

un-even mixing might have contributed - the chocolate portion will be denser than just egg white - which might show up as small portions of the non-chocolate mix separating.
quarkz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tried it again and this time, I beat much longer till stiff peak and mix more evenly.

Within 5 mins inside the oven, it has raised by 2-3cm! But it keeps on rising and gets a bit "unstable". The souffle rises until it is very near the oven and gets burnt.

Guess it's because I half the ingredient and it's 1 yolk to 2 egg white. Is there too much egg white? I still have the mixture left. Will it work if I now use a lower temp (150 instead 190deg C) and maybe longer time?

Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quarkz wrote:
Guess it's because I half the ingredient and it's 1 yolk to 2 egg white. Is there too much egg white?

The recipe will still work with 1 yolk to 2 whites, but there will be more lift. Just put less in each ramekin.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> The souffle rises until it is very near the oven and gets burnt.

what kind of oven are you using? a "standard" 60-75 cm wide floor oven or a counter top type toaster oven?
quarkz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too sure what you mean, but mine is a small oven about 50cm wide with the heating element at the top and bottom. I think it raises too much and hence it get too close to the heating element.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>what you mean
it is physically a small dish - so if it is getting "close" to an element I suspect you are using something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Ovens-Toasters-Small-Appliances/b?ie=UTF8&node=289933

vs something like this:

http://www.us-appliance.com/gegasfrestan.html

using a small counter top oven will present some challenges for dishes like souffle. it's a small volume, many watts, heats very fast and often overshoots the set temperature.

your intuition to modify the baking temperature is probably a good start - it will require some experimenting.
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Can you refrigerate the batter or will it become dense? Reply with quote

Was wondering if I were to refrigerate the completed batter and then bake them tomorrow if the would end up very dense or if they would back like normal...

thanks,

Joe
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>refrigerater batter for later

very unlike to be satisfactory - a souffle is beaten egg whites - they need to be baked right away.
Foodie99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Yum! Reply with quote

Just made this soufleé. It was delicious! I made some homemade raspberry sauce to put on top and it came out very well. I also used three egg whites instead of two. Fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Answer to: Can you refrigerate the batter or will it become Reply with quote

Michael wrote in his recipe:

"The best part of making soufflés is that they can be prepared to this point beforehand and refrigerated for up to three days. On the day you plan to serve the soufflés, take them out of the refrigerator about two hours before you plan to serve them so they can warm up a little. If you don't take them out of the fridge early, then bake them for an extra minute or two."

The above statement was right after pouring the batter into the ramekins.
CookEngineer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: No granulated sugar to the ramekins.Concern about bake time. Reply with quote

Well, I tried putting granulated sugar to the sides of the ramekins, but after baking it becomes half burnt - half melted (tastes bad), especially the sugar that gets up sticking to the souffle side.

I changed it to a little flour (or only butter) and the result was both tasty and practical (it could still rise).

Secondly I have asked an expert, and told me that the perfect souffle should be just baked on the outside (1cm), leaving the inside in liquid form. I personally cant make both the souffle to rise to 1.5x - 2x its height and both have it liquid inside, as baking it for more will turn most of it solid.

At least the taste -even when not fully risen- is excellent.
Willaliburd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Dark chocolate souffle Reply with quote

I've made this recipe several times and its fantastic. Have a public holiday today so gonna make some more.

Thanks for a great recipe!
jangofett

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Oven Problem Reply with quote

I've been cooking for a while now, I dont believe that having a gas oven will affect it. I have a gas oven and I used it to make this recipe, so in this case it works perfectly fine for me. Hope I helped.

-Jango- Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: