Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baked Tortilla Crusted Fried Chicken

View previous topic :: View next topic  
socal_chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Baked Tortilla Crusted Fried Chicken Reply with quote

Since I was a kid, my favorite snack has always been tortilla chips and salsa. Sadly, when you reach the end of the bag, ther is always a good cup or so of crumbs that just get tossed away.

After researching a few links, I decided to try a variation of fried chicken using the crumbs.

I had accumulated a 1 qt. freezer bag of reduced fat corn chip crumbs and the new Tostitos Multi-Grain tortilla chip crumbs.

I threw them in the food processor with about 1 1/2 tbsp. of Goya Adobo seasoning (which is salt, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, and turmeric) and about 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper (I would have used more, but wife and 2 year old don't like spicey). Chopped on high until the crumbs were fine.

I used a combo pack of boneless skinless breasts and thighs. I'm sure this would be fine with a whole chicken cut into pieces.

I then whisked 2 eggs with 1/2 cup of skim milk. Added salt & pepper.

Dipped the chicken in the egg mixture, then in the crumbs. Coated thoroughly and placed on a rack in a roasting pan. I lightly sprayed the top with EVOO cooking spray, just to crisp it up a little.

Baked on 375 for about 40 minutes....I used a thermometer in the thickest part of the breast and cooked to 170, internal temp.

Removed from the oven and let them rest for about 5 minutes before serving. I sliced them on a diagonal and served them with some seasoned roasted sweet potatos that I diced.

We all loved it!

I would like to get more creative in the seasoning...like using dried adobo chile flakes or cilantro or something.

I think it would be great served on a plate with a spoon of salsa fresca or something. Or maybe use breast filets and make fingers with a chipotle ranch dipping sauce.

This would be a great one for Michael to play around with...or anyone for that matter. Would love to read variations and family feedback!

Chris
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Not too far removed from other recipes... Reply with quote

My mom used to make an oven-fried chicken that used corn flake crumbs as its breading, so using corn chip crumbs doesn't sound too unreasonable; I'd bet the salt in the corn chips would make this pretty good!

Another potential use for corn-chip crumbs from Alton Brown is to use them instead of Masa flour to thicken chili.
socal_chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Not too far removed from other recipes... Reply with quote

kgb1001001 wrote:

Another potential use for corn-chip crumbs from Alton Brown is to use them instead of Masa flour to thicken chili.

Hmm...sounds tasty...possibly an easy way out for making a variation of tamale too?
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Makes good sense Reply with quote

I'd bet if you ran the corn chips through a food processor to make a flour then yeah, it'd probably work fine in Tamales!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum