Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commercial refrigerator & freezer in the home?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jillelaine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Commercial refrigerator & freezer in the home? Reply with quote

What do you think of installing a commercial fridge and/or freezer in a home kitchen?

I think all the 'cute' little interior 'features' of a home fridge (produce & cheese drawers, etc) more annoying (and fragile) than useful. I would rather have a big empty box to configure with containers as I see fit.

I've done a bit of research. Folks mention issues with size, lack of features, noise, energy use, etc. I'm hoping to hear from folks who actually have (or had) one in their home kitchen.

A good thread here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2299019/a-few-thoughts-on-my-true-refrigerator
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a second / overflow fridge, I'd go with the 'big box theory' - having first hand witnessed lettuce in and out of "el crisper" - I'm a believer about the drawers.

I'm a light sleeper - so noise would be a major issue for me (first floor master.... I can count the ice cubes as they drop . . . at one-o'thirty . . .)

I think for most kitchens the biggest hurdle would be "does it fit?"
if one is custom building, or doing a major renovation, commercials - like the kin the mega-built-ins, can be accommodated.

I would most definitely do massive "reliability" research - repairs on any refrigeration doohickies are exceedingly expensive. a neighbor's central a/c went thermometer up. the repair place (quite reputable, btw) gave him an estimate and the advice: for a few dollars more you can get a new unit, more efficient, green rebate, and a ten year warranty.... repairs - 30 days.....
charlietyrell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in this, would anyone be able to recommended some high quality brands?

Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum