Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fish Sauce!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you love fish sauce?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 15 ]
No
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I don't know
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Gak! (horrible)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

empkae

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Fish Sauce! Reply with quote

Few things in life are so exciting a pivotal, life changing event for the better. The discovery of balancing a bicycle, one's own sexuality, true love are some classic examples. At the ripe old age of 53 (I think), these seminal events are few. I got lucky. I discovered fish sauce. I discovered the treasure of the Golden Boy.

Fish sauce did not come easy to me. My first notice of it was the stinky, pungent dressing on a Thai catfish salad. "Gak! What is this foul rotten fish taste???" I could not eat it after the first couple bites. I am not a timid eater. I have eaten my share of such culinary delights as silk worms, water bugs, live whole shrimp, and most varieties of sushi/sashimi. But, there was something about the fishy catfish salad that eluded easy consideration.

A couple years ago I visited SE Asia for a few weeks. It was only hours before exposure to that strange, strong fishiness of the catfish salad. After a few meals it became clear that almost everything had that pungency. Even the ever present "soy" sauce reeked of it. The thought crossed my mind that this trip was going to lead to considerable weight loss. With the help of a friendly Thai translator, I quickly figured it out - fish sauce.

The days turned to weeks and I maintained, or gained weight. The food lost its fishiness and became great - even stupendous. None better! What sadness to have to leave it behind to return to the US.

What happened is I became a fish sauce addict. What started out like my first taste of scotch (Yuck. Who would like this stuff?) turned out like my present longing for a fine glass of single malt. (Neat, thank you!)

One thing led to another. I learned about this salty amber liquid - how it is made, who traditionally uses it, its relationship to other culture's foods, its umami-ness - everything I could. (Did you know worchestershire sauce is a variety of fish sauce?) (I do NOT recommend you learn how it is made until you are hopelessly hooked on it.)

Long a foodie insisting on good tasting quality food of any culture, I have taken a serious tumble into this addiction. I now engineer every new recipe or concoction to accommodate fish sauce. It is shocking to consider. I put it on almost anything: Asian foods, pasta, eggs, salads, sandwiches, even pizza. (Pizza is superb with fish sauce!)

Shopping for the right brand was not easy. Few labels had enough English to convey anything meaningful. After trying and tossing out a few cheap brands I did some internet research. The brand that rose to the top of many lists was Golden Boy. I ran to my neighborhood Asian grocery and Lo! there was a mountain sized stack of Golden Boy. I bought 2 at less than $2 each and headed home.

Now there is Golden Boy at home. There is a tall bottle on my desk at work. (It needs no refrigeration.) It is always there, ready, for a splash on just about everything.

But wait! There's more! A new development has taken hold. Hot. VERY hot. There is only one thing better than a dose of Golden Boy - a dosed dose of Golden Boy. Now I finely chop a couple ounces of fresh Thai chilies into a half cup of Golden Boy. Let it soak a few hours, then carefully sprinkle it on anything you like hot and salty. It is a supreme treat. mmmmm...
youngcook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate fsh sauce too. Don't even ask me why. Nice ideas empkae.
opqdan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only recently come across fish sauce as an ingredient, and it is also starting to grow on me. The first time I made a thai curry and added the fish sauce, I thought I had ruined it. It smelled terrible. The next time I made it, I added far less, and it just wasn't nearly as good. Now, I add it in even larger quantities every time I make the dish, but it is currently the only dish
I make that uses it, as I am still afraid of what it's effects would be on other dishes.

Your pizza suggestion is interesting.
Ishbel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't make most of the Thai dishes I cook WITHOUT fish sauce! It also adds some 'zip' to stir fries.
Thor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Gym Socks Reply with quote

My brother once caught me with a bottle of fish sauce. He claimed it smelled like feet. Then I served him a summer roll with a fish sauce based dipping sauce. He forgot about feet, and asked for more summer roll and extra chiles.

Quote:
The brand that rose to the top of many lists was Golden Boy

I've enjoyed Golden Boy, Tra Chang, Squid, Three Crabs, and Tiparos, but I've never tried them side by side. After Golden Boy, what would be your next couple of favorites?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gym Socks Reply with quote

Thor wrote:
My brother once caught me with a bottle of fish sauce. He claimed it smelled like feet.

I've enjoyed Golden Boy, Tra Chang, Squid, Three Crabs, and Tiparos, but I've never tried them side by side. After Golden Boy, what would be your next couple of favorites?

I don't know the other brands. One had a flying duck on it. It was ok. I just like Golden Boy so much I hate to branch out! Now I am working on getting the knack of shrimp paste. It is about 10x stronger than fish sauce, or more! I have been using it sparingly in curries and rice dishes where it is quite nice. I have not quite been able to enjoy it in very strong dipping sauces. It is just too, too fishy.

Tonight I had poached eggs on toast with a LOT of thai chili spiked Golden Boy. Sha-Zam! that is good stuff!
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fish Sauce! Reply with quote

empkae wrote:
... At the ripe old age of 53 (I think), these seminal events are few. I got lucky. I discovered fish sauce. .....
Fish sauce did not come easy to me. My first notice of it was the stinky, pungent dressing on a Thai catfish salad. "Gak! What is this foul rotten fish taste???" .... It is a supreme treat. mmmmm...

Weird, very weird. I discovered the joy of fish sauce at 52.

When I first encountered Vietnamese restaurants I enjoyed everything about them except fish sauce and pork skin. I still cannot stand the latter, (see my posts regarding lauric acid in coconut cream). The first time I was served a V dish that came with a little bowl of fish sauce (sliced carrots floating inside) one smell told me to "stay clear". I got to the point that I would tell the waitress not to bring any to the table.

One day I lunched with a colleague from the business college. When our order came, he took the little bowl of sauce and dumped it on his bowl of noodles and meat. I asked him why he did it and he said, "I don't know, it just makes it taste good." I was incredulous and just ignored the incident. A little while later there was a short article in the paper about fish sauce. It raved like you have about the virtues of it as a flavoring for the food. The article also described how it was made, but in spite of that I resolved to take the plunge on my next visit to a V restaurant.

When the opportunity presented itself, I held my nose and dumped the sauce on my noodle bowl. My gawd! What had been simply tasty and nutritious became transformed! I still cannot stand the smell, but a bowl of noodles or imperial rolls without fish sauce is like a day without sunshine. It is really, really good. Cultures, like species, must be preserved because each brings something wonderful to the table, literally.
pairroh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: fish sauce Reply with quote

I am Thai and I work with Golden Boy fish sauce /
Thank you for love Golden Boy.
Cremon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Old timer at fish sauce usage Reply with quote

I grew up in Thailand and was enjoying Golden Boy fish sauce in the late 60's and early 70's as a kid. When we moved back to the states in 1973, I never saw fish sauce again until it SLOWLY found its way into the US market in the late 90's as Tiparos and squid brands.

Only in the last two years have I been able to get Golden Boy. Boy that brings back pleasant memories when I use it now, but I also missed that flavor terribly. I buy it 4 or 5 bottles at a time and that lasts me about a year. I use this stuff in spaghetti sauces, soups, broths, thai foods - you name it. It is the ultimate condiment.
Big smile
MessyVirgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered fish sauce about 10 years ago in Vietnamese restaurants. It's one of my favorite "secret ingredients" for adding flavor in all kinds of dishes. I put it in spaghetti sauce and salad dressings; it is anchovies, after all. For those of you who don't like the smell -- don't put it up to your nose -- just shake it in.
Lillatoni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been able to eat it. I was recently trying to fix this Thai dish, but it called for a lot of fish sauce, so I scrapped the whole meal when I opened the bottle and smelled it. There is this Thai I've been wanting to try, but now all I can associate Thai food with is fish sauce. Blech!
Dude111

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUK totally disgusting sounding Big smile
deminmartin9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Favorite Foods Reply with quote

Fish sous is very tasty to eat.
----------------
Demin Martin
Hanson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish sauce is one thing I haven't bought yet. I love Thai and Asian foods but have never really tried to make them at home. The other day I was trying to make a peanut sauce and didn't succeed. I did make a delicious Asian vinegarette that I could have probably enhanced with a little fish sauce.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Asian and I love fish sauce, especially if mix with lemon. The smell maybe horrible, but the taste is great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum