Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singaporean food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Singaporean food Reply with quote

The most memorable culinary experience of my life was the six blissful weeks I spent in Singapore back in 1991. There were two foods in particular that sent me into paroxysms -- one that I've been able to recreate (well almost) and another that still eludes me after all these years:

(1) Chili Crab. Wow. This stuff is heaven on a plate. It's one of those wierd concoctions that only a melting pot like Singapore could have come up with. It's basically crab quickly stir-fried in ginger, chilis and garlic and served in an incredible BBQ-like sauce that's made of a ketchup base, with fish sauce and chili sauce. There's one decent recipe online (http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/chili-crab.html) but I've had better luck with David Rosengarten's from his book Taste. It's messy like you wouldn't believe -- and you finish the delicious stuff by mopping up the leftover sauce with big, soft bread cubes. Ahhh.. Makes my mouth water just to think of it...

(2) Prawn Mee. Good, substantial lunch food. I must have had this three times a week or more -- every day we ate lunch in these things called "hawker centers" that were like fair midways -- a dozen or more little carts or shops selling incredibly cheap, good, and fast food. Sadly, it's the one thing I've never found a good recipe for anywhere. It's your basic noodle soup (kind of like a Vietnamese Pho) with prawns, and lots of other good whatnot thrown in. It's spicy, savory, a bit salty, and just the right mix of textures to satisfy your palate.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: It took me long enough but I think I found one... Reply with quote

I recently came across this -- it contains enough special purpose ingredients that I've not tried it yet, but this recipe has all the right hallmarks of a prawn mee the way I remember it. Can't wait to try it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Re:Singaporean food Reply with quote

i'm also a singaporean, but now located in Bay Area, California.
miss those food.

http://teczcape-yum.blogspot.com/

cheers,
http://teczcape.blogspot.com/
www.powertolife.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm headed back to Singapore (home) for a visit. I cannot wait to indulge in all the foods. My favourites are actually prata and chicken curry, satay and beef rendang!!! Yummy.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"chinese mustard" is not found in singapore. Chinese people in my native New York City have declaimed to me that singaporeans aren't real chinese, food-wise. I have to say, singaporeans sure do quack like malays or thais - foodwise, i mean.

my favorite singapore schtick is that characteristic buzzer noise that is sounded when the "walk/don't walk" indicator turns on to indicate that it is approved to cross the street.
toosweet4u

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Singaporean food! My mom used to experiment on this food and she did good on cooking it.
danidhenu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Commonly seen dishes like Chicken Chop, Fish and Chips, mixed grills, cheese fries and etc., are generally popular in Singapore, typically spotted in hawker centers, coffee shops and food courts in Singapore.
lucasbowen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Amazing Reply with quote

.... that nobody mentions Laksa and Char Kway Teow. All time favourites - simple and delightful. Gotta try them out. If the hawker place is out.... well then there is always black carrot cake!!! :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum