Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: English Toffee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: SEPARATION Reply with quote

I didn't see this in prior posts, so if this a repeat, sorry.
For those having separation problems, try adding 1g lecithin granules per 100g sugar and butter. We made 22 batches in two days in my classroom and not one separates.
Separation may occur because of the fat content variations in butter(too low and too much retained milk), but is most likely from uneven heating and lack of stirring CONSTANTLY early in the process.
Try lecithin.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good suggestion. Need to get some of that for other purposes too. Back in the day, PAM spray had lecithin in it and I thought it worked better than today's variety.
Darthlederer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Maple toffee Reply with quote

I have been trying to find a recipe that uses only butter, sugar, maple syrup, chocolate and almonds. The chocolate and almonds are easy but the ratio of the other ingredients is kind of a wild guess. I am trying to make it as good as some I tried at a one of a kind show into ontario.
divinny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ! The best toffee recipe for sure
ddp30121

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Chocolate topping on Toffee Reply with quote

What's the secret to get the chocolate not to come off when breaking the toffee?
JimC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: 300 is too hot Reply with quote

I've made toffee for years and always stop at 285 F. It is brown by then and hardens nicely. All these stories about crystallizing and separating make me think you are getting too hot.
lfountain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: This was amazing! Reply with quote

I watched my son whip this up in a matter of minutes and it was phenomenal! Highly recommended. Gobbled up at the holiday party.
Hodor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

For those having separation issues, try using Land O' Lakes Salted Butter only. Not Unsalted, and not no-name-brand. Stirring constantly is not required, and may cause your toffee to separate. I stir to combine the butter and sugar in the beginning, and then stir very infrequently until the mixture reaches 300 degrees. Use a heavy-bottomed pan over low medium heat, don't heat the mixture too fast! Also, I just use 4 sticks of salted butter and 2 cups of sugar, no water or vanilla. Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: