Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Maple Syrup Grades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcromer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: What sugar is in maple syrup Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what sugar is in maple syrup?
I am trying to avoid fructose.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What sugar is in maple syrup Reply with quote

dcromer wrote:
Can anyone tell me what sugar is in maple syrup?
I am trying to avoid fructose.

Maple syrup is almost all sucrose. The darker the maple syrup is, the more fructose and glucose it typically contains.
AndyB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Moldy maple syrup Reply with quote

If the syrup is actually moldy, there's nothing that you can do to salvage it -- pitch it out.

It's more likely that what you're observing is fermentation rather than mold. (With a yeasty alcohol odor rather than the mustiness of mold). If that's the case, you can boil it and skim off the yeast. You'll never get entirely rid of the yeastiness, so use that syrup for baking, where a yeast taste won't be objectionable. And maybe buy a fresh bottle to put on your ice cream and pancakes.

And keep your syrup refrigerated after you open it, especially in warm weather.
Cindy T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: backyard maple syrup Reply with quote

FYI, if you live in a northern climate and have a maple tree, you can probably make your own syrup. I tapped 1 silver maple and 1 Norway maple this spring and now have 6 1/2 pints of delicious syrup.

I used the gas grill to do most of the boiling outdoors, then finished it on the kitchen stove. It's an exercise in patience but a fun project and the syrup makes it worth the effort.

My husband thought I was eccentric the first time I did this. Now he thinks I'm resourceful Smile

Cindy T in MN
Joe Pie Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Grade D Reply with quote

Hey folks:

We have been making maple syrup in a primitive way (big pan over a fire pit) for a few years in SW Wisconsin, and prefer what we call Grade D (Diesel) syrup. Very dark and smokey. The first time we produced it, we weren't so sure about it. Man, was it smokey. The next time we made syrup, we unintentionally isolated the wood smoke from the surface of the pan, and it tasted very, well... Plain. Our kids were so disappointed they got really mad and upset, and blamed us adults for ruining it! That was so funny!

This year was the first time since that "plain" batch a few years ago, and it is unquestionably, without a doubt, certifiably Grade D. Yuuuuuumm!

So, anyone got any opinion as the the health effects of ingesting all that wood smoke via syrup? Not to mention all the smoke we breathe while boiling the stuff down.

Regards,

Joe Pie Guy
Ra

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: How the grading system was determined Reply with quote

The reason that Grade A has the weakest Maple flavor, is that when the standards were established, Maple syrup was often the only sweetening agent available to many women. Since they didn't want ALL of their cooking to taste like Maple, the sweetener with the most neutral flavor was considered the most desirable.

Now, of course, most of us would like the most Maple flavor possible, in our syrup, so take advantage of this archaic system, if you can.

I wish they sold Grade B in Publix.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Freezer Reply with quote

Greetings from Ontario:

We also produce a lot of maple syrup in this province -- I buy Canada #1 Light. Very yummy!

I would pitch any out that was mouldy myself (and I'm not a stickler about that sort of thing). To avoid mould, I throw the glass bottle in the freezer, and just haul it out whenever I need some. It doesn't freeze or crystalize, it stays runny, and it lasts indefinitely. I haven't tried it with a can, but have never heard that it behaves any differently.

The maple syrup in the snow with a stick thing I always heard referred to as "sugaring off", but when I look it up online, I see that "sugaring off" either refers to the whole maple syrup making process, or the party that one has while sugaring off. I don't know -- deelish by any name.
Sher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Mouldy Maple syrup Reply with quote

I usually strain "the mother" off..and it is usually fine..Seems to me tho, that at one time, maple syrup NEVER went bad.
Charles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Refrigerated Maple Syrup Reply with quote

Can Refrigerated Maple Syrup ever go “bad”?

Thanks in advance,

Charles
gillyville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: crystallized maple syrup Reply with quote

can crystallized maple be fixed so that is smooth syrup again?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>can crystallized maple be fixed so that is smooth syrup again?

yup. just warm it gently and the sugar crystals will re-dissolve.

(a hot tap water bath is usually enough)
Addie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Example brand of Grade B Maple syrup Reply with quote

Hi can someone give me an example brands of 100% Grade B Maple Syrup? Also if you can tell me where or what store I can buy this Grade B Syrup...

Thank you,
Addie
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addie -

difficult to say not knowing where you are or what markets are in your area.

however, USDA specifications for 100% pure maple syrup are consistent - the major difference between Grade A and Grade B is color - tho many folks feel Grade B has more depth of flavor.

if your supermarket has an organic or natural section, look there - anything labeled "maple flavored" is not what your are looking for. it will most likely be labeled with the grade - but color is the tip off. Grade A is a light amber color, it is almost transparent. Grade B is noticeable darker - more like the "maple flavored" pancake syrups ala Aunt Jemima / Log Cabin.

my store has "the good stuff" in the organic section and the cheap stuff in with the pancake syrup stuff.
Homeygenius

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Fermented maple yrup Reply with quote

Every Christmas my mother in law provides us with a couple of gallons on beautiful maple syrup which we store in the fridge. By spring the syrup has the fermented taste I've read about. There is no mold and it's a golden syrup color. I have a candy thermometer. Does anybody know the time or temp the syrup should be if I reboil it. My grandsons love it on their pancakes so I hate to waste it. Apparently it taste better than my blackberry syrup Big smile !! Thank you for your help.  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, can I get on your MIL's Christmas List? <g>

>>>the time or temp the syrup should be if I reboil it.
it will vary a little depending on sugar concentration but it is about 219-220'F.
care is required! it can be scorched / burnt.
the question is "why reboil?" - if the sugar has crystallized you can warm it - no need to get to the boiling point....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: