Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Maple Syrup Grades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acv

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Maple Syrup Reply with quote

I don't know about the US, but the most common container for Maple Syrup in quebec is the 16-oz can. Usually refrigerated after opening (and consummed rather quickly.)

As for production stats that another poster asked about, Quebec produces about 16 million liters of the stuff and the US as a whole about 6 million liters. Quebec has roughly a 90% share of canadian production which is 75% of world production...

As for maple syrup being eaten on snow, it is called "Tire sur la neige". It is made with a reduced form of maple syrup (just shy of maple butter.) Regular maple syrup is much too liquid to be eaten effectively this way.
nanaverm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Maple syrup Reply with quote

Oh, how I love Grade B syrup! After having that, I can't see why anyone would want to go back to Grade A.

To the person who was on the syrup/lemon juice/clay diet, maybe the clay was bentonite?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: maple syrup Reply with quote

What happens if you don't refrigerate maple syrup? Does it really go bad?
katrien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: non-refrigerated maple syrup Reply with quote

Oh yes, out of the fridge it really does go bad quite quickly: I tried that once and within a few weeks some beautiful molds were growing on the surface.

I guess I should have known; it's sweet, it's liquid, so moulds and yeasts like the stuff as much as I do...
ike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: maple syrup mold taste Reply with quote

I made a couple gallons of maple syrup that got mold on it but I didn't want to discard so reboiled it but you can taste the mold. Does anyone know a way to remove the mold taste or what else I could recycle this to? I even thought of putting rice grains or oatmeal into it to maybe soak up the taste, or feed it to my bees to see if they could process it soomehow.....ike[/b]
MIT-Consulting Engineers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Moldy maple syrup Reply with quote

Wow! Haven't had anyone (but me) talk about maple syrup on snow since an Indian friend in Maine hosted a maple sugar'in party for my family back in the 50's. When your mouth gets so puckered up with the sweet you just can't eat another mouthful, he would give us a sour pickle to bite and you could start all over again!.
Well, about the mold: I remember my mom re-purifying the maple syrup by bringing it to a boil in a sauce pan, adding a little milk and skimming off the foam which formed on the top. I have some that needed this recovery process lately so did as I remembered but the result was that the syrup became cloudy and I could still taste the mold. What did I forget?
harimc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Maple syrup tips Reply with quote

For moldy syrup, skim off the mold from the syrup first.
For taste, Grade B syrup has a real robust maple flavor so some folks (probably not old-time Vermonters )actually prefer it for eating. Grade A, light amber has a subtle flavor so isn't as noticable, e.g., on pancakes. Vermonters like it on ice cream or a hot spoonful. Grade A medium and dark amber are stronger as they get darker.
Sugar on snow really has to be eaten with alternate bites of a sour pickle, otherwise it's too cloying except if you're a kid. The big treat: sugar on snow, sour pickle, cake donut, and hot coffee.
4kcstq

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: cabane a sucre Reply with quote

What in Canada is called cabane a sucre here in the US is called Sugar on Snow. It's thicker than maple syrup, heated to 230 or so, then poured on snow (fluffy snow, not that icy stuff we get in Connecticut). If you're a kid, you pick it up with your fingers, we engineers need a tool ; hence a stick...
Phanh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: A question Reply with quote

How long does it normally take to boil sap into syrup?
We call the syrup on snow "tire d'erables" (or "taffy" in English).
eriksherman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Boiling time Reply with quote

Around here (rural western Massachusetts), the sugar houses will boil a batch for about 24 hours to reduce it. One place in our extended neighborhood, Gould's Sugar House, has a spot out back where you can try some of the unboiled sap. The difference is amazing - like water with just a touch of flavor. As for syrup, we go with grade B, purchased at Hager Brothers just a couple of miles from us. We moved here less than two years ago and, ironically, we used to buy Hager syrup when we lived in the eastern part of the state and didn't realize that we'd be moving so close.
Piglet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Can it be fixed? Reply with quote

Today I discovered mold had grown on top of my Maple syrup. I read some advice here and poured it into another container, removed as much mold as I could and then boiled it again. I cleaned out the container and poured the hot syrup back into it. Not it is all one big crystalized mass in a bottle with a tiny neck! Yikes! What did I do wrong and can it be fixed? I live way out in the west with no maple trees for maybe 3 or 4 states. This is a real treat for us. Please help if you can. Thanks
CookNewb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that here in Canada (Vancouver anyways) the grading system is different. Ours is Grade A or Light, Grade B or medium and Grade C or Dark or Amber. Early in the season you can get grade A but towards the fall you can only get Grade C. Grade C syrup is really dark and thick and has the most nutrition. However, is is also the most bland and has an odd "powdery" texture within the syrup.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can it be fixed? Reply with quote

Piglet wrote:
Today I discovered mold had grown on top of my Maple syrup. I read some advice here and poured it into another container, removed as much mold as I could and then boiled it again. I cleaned out the container and poured the hot syrup back into it. Not it is all one big crystalized mass in a bottle with a tiny neck! Yikes! What did I do wrong and can it be fixed? I live way out in the west with no maple trees for maybe 3 or 4 states. This is a real treat for us. Please help if you can. Thanks

It may help to re-heat in in a large pot of hot water so it dissolves again. You shouldn't need to boil it. Once it dissolves, leave it in the pot of water so it cools s-l-o-w-l-y. Your syrup may still have a moldy smell and off-taste when you're done.
Piglet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! I will try it. I hope I have gotten rid of all the mold I know that it is tricky... It did taste pretty darn good when I was pouring it back into the original container so MAYBE... Wink I'll let you know!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

Piglet wrote:
Thanks for your reply! I will try it. I hope I have gotten rid of all the mold I know that it is tricky... It did taste pretty darn good when I was pouring it back into the original container so MAYBE... Wink I'll let you know!

You might need to add a little water to help the syrup stay dissolved if it crystalizes again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: