Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Maple Syrup Grades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben FrantzDale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up we always had real grade B on our pancakes, so that's what I'm used to. Can someone who preffers grade A explain why? Is there complexity that I've just overlooked?
Paul V

You should try pecan pie made with caramel...now that's heaven!
Connie

Re: Cabane a sucre

The English translation is "sugar shack"; that is, it is the place in which the maple sap is collected and processed into maple syrup. Pouring the hot syrup onto the snow and gathering it up onto a stick as it cools and hardens to make a sweet treat is one of the things they do at a cabane a sucre. Another tradition is sitting with many other people at long tables and eating foods such as pancakes, baked beans, sausages, bacon, eggs and the like, and smothering them all with newly made maple syrup. All done in the early spring when the sap is flowing.

Is it time for breakfast yet?
Jeffrey

Hey - great Blog! "Real" maple syrup is distinguishable from the fake or even 'cut' stuff by one simple method - 100% real (Canadian) maple syrup will remain fluid when frozen in the freezer. The fake or 'cut' syrup will freeze solid like a block of ice. We have two farming families providing us with real (boiled) maple syrup each year and the taste is fantastic. Works great in pie and tart recipies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading a book on "Country Things" and the Vermont old timer there said that New Yorkers could be counted upon to purchase Grade B syrup, as the Fancy grade was too light-colored to be considered real maple syrup.

He also mentions birch beer and maple sap beer. Said sap beer was foul stuff. Maybe that's why the oldtime song goes
"Wanta get your eye knocked out, wanta get your fill,
Wanta get your head cut off just go up Sugar Hill!"
Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site, love it.

I grew up on a farm in wisconsin and we made our own maple syrup every spring. We just canned it in glass jars and kept it in the basement. It stayed good for years that way without any noticable difference to taste. Depending on how well the sap ran that year you could run out, so we always kept reserves.

Also, growing up on the farm we raised, befriended, and then killed, butchered and ate our food. Hell, I think this country (USA) needs a restaurant where you can pick out your own cow, watch it butchered and cook it while it's still twitching like they do with lobsters. Maybe in Texas.
Greg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

I am an engineer from Oklahoma and I really love this site! I too say keep up the good work and don't let the root huggers slow you down!!!
Welch's maple farm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Boiled vs Evaporated? Reply with quote

I produce several thousand gallons of pure maple syrup each year. ALL pure maple syrup is boiled at atmospheric pressure to a temperature of about 7.1 degrees above boiling water at your locale.
An evaporator is just a very efficient "boiling pot". Modern evaporators make use of heat exchangers to preheat cold ( 40 degree) incoming sap up to the boiling point using waste steam.
There is a correlation between how LONG syrup is boiled and the amount of caramelization that takes place and a modern evaporator does boil quicker than say an old fashioned kettle hanging over a fire.
In the 1930's Land O' Lakes creameries in Antigo, Wisconsin used it's vacuum evaporating equipment to produce maple syrup and the results were not good . The syrup produced was almost clear and had little maple flavor because there was very little carmelization of the sugars at the reduced boiling temperature.
jeanthibca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: cabane a sucre Reply with quote

The English equivalent for ''cabane a sucre'' is sugar sack.
jeanthibca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Wisconsin production Reply with quote

I'm from Quebec and I surprise to see how much maple syrup seems to be produced in Wisconsin. Is anyone having to Wisconsin vs Quebec syrup yield stats?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pouring the hot syrup onto the snow and stirring it up with a stick or spoon as it cools and hardens to make a sweet treat is known as "sugar on snow"
MassMaple

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: cabane a sucre and sugar on snow Reply with quote

"cabane a sucre" translates to "cabin of sugar", in other words, where maple syrup is made, also known as a sugarhouse, sugarshack, or sugar camp.
Sugar on snow is NOT just hot syrup poured onto snow. Pure maple syrup must be boiled further to increase its density so that the supersaturated solution will harden up when it hits the cold snow. Boil maple syrup to 238 degrees, then drizzle over fresh snow or shaved ice.
Sandra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Maple Syrup Reply with quote

I'm so glad I found this post, I just boiled down my first 'harvest' of maple syrup and was wondering why it was so light in color. Because it's early in the season and very cold here in Minnesota, that's why! Thanks for clearing that up![/url]
johndoe1959

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Business help in China Reply with quote

I am new at this and I'd ask someone to help me with advice. I applied as recruiter manager at JobQueen, they promise to pay $87,000.00/year. I would like to know if they are for real and if they are how can I get quality sales reps in China. I didn't list the domain because promoting something is forbiden in most forums. So if you want to help me out please contact me direct at my email:
kimwongshu@yahoo.com
doctrphil

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Livin' off of maple syrup Reply with quote

A few years ago I tried this 'cleansing' diet that consisted of, you guessed it, maple syrup (grade B dark amber), and lemon juice. And a dash of Tabasco sauce for flavor. (I actually used Frank's Red Hot sauce and it worked just fine.)

Apparently there's enough nutritive value in maple syrup to sustain a 220lb. adult male for at least a month. Crazy, huh? I don't know what purpose the lemon juice served, but it had to be fresh-squeezed, not bottled. Probably some polyphenols or something.

Anyway, I only lost about five pounds, and after two days I had no hunger pangs whatsoever. And the other odd thing is that for some strange reason, I no longer had any bowel movements. Go figure! (The diet recommended some type of liquid that was a clay suspension to pull impurities from the lower intestine. I keep thinking it's call milorganite, but that's DEFINITELY not it!)

I'm recommending anyone to NOT try this unless they do a little research on it first!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: