Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Dark Chocolate Brownies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: katherine hepburn's brownies Reply with quote

shortly after hepburn's death, a letter to the nyt recounted this recipe given by hepburn to the writer's father:

Melt 1 stick unsalted butter,
add 1/2 cup cocoa and stir until smooth.
Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Add 2 eggs, one at a time.
Add 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon vanilla and pinch of salt.
Add 1 cup nuts of choice.

Pour into into greased 8x8 pan and bake 40 min at 325 degrees.
Do not overbake.
kayenne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried the original brownies recipe and it's good, however, a bit too soft and cakey for my taste(but my aunts loved it!). i prefer brownies a bit fudgy and dense. i'm planning to try it again with 2 eggs instead of 3. and maybe another batch made with 3/4 cup flour instead of 1. let's see which one turns out better.

-kayenne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Adding Nutella Reply with quote

Try using 3/4 of the chocolate called for, and then stirring in a fourth of a jar of Nutella. Results in a very rich brownie with a fudge-like centre. Yum.
paintchicksrock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Cutting brownies Reply with quote

To cut brownies in the pan, a plastic knife works well. To get them out of the pan whole to cut on a board with a real knife, line the pan with parchment or foil. Let the ends extend a few inches beyond the outside edge of the pan, creating a sling for lifting once the brownies are cool. (Cook's Illustrated does a double sling-2 pieces of foil crossed over so there are "handles" on all 4 sides...seems like a waste of resources.) Be sure to prep the liner with butter as you would an un-lined pan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Excellent recipe Reply with quote

This is an excellent recipe.... Made it 4 times in 2 days Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Made a "healthier" version of this brownie Reply with quote

I just finished baking a non dairy version of this recipe. I used Spectrum Organic all vegetable shortening (non-hydrogenated) in place of the butter. I used Sucanat evaporated cane sugar in place of white sugar, and whole wheat pastry flour in place of white.

They came out pretty well. They needed less baking time. I baked 32 min at it was about 4 minutes too long.

I think using 2 eggs will result in a more chewy texture that I prefer (as someone already mentioned)

Over all I appreciate finding this recipe! Thanks Very much Smile

Tracy
Astrid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Just made these, they were delicious Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for posting this recipe. It's not easy to make American brownie recipes when you live in Europe, where there's no unsweetened chocolate. But we do have lots of high cocoa-content semisweet chocolate, so this recipe is perfect for us.

They came out very well. I only baked them 25 min., but that seemed enough. Also after melting the chocolate and butter, I mixed in the rest of the ingredients without keeping the bowl over hot water (I was being helped by 3-year old girls, so I didn't want to take any risks!).

Since the said 3-year olds and I had a difference of opinions regarding the desirability of adding nuts, I made half with nuts, half without: I spread a thin layer of the batter all over the pan, then sprinkled chopped pecans on half of it, and covered the whole surface with the rest of the batter, being careful not to mix nuts into the children's section. This worked well.

They came out fudgy and a bit chewy yet crunchy near the edges. I was wondering why the sugar isn't beaten with the eggs: wouldn't that make for a shinier crust? Also the interesting thing is the brownies weren't too sweet the day I made them, but by the second day they tasted really quite sweet. But still delicious, the best I've made so far, thank you! (The three-year olds agree).

Astrid
www.lacerise.blogspot.com
grace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Brownies cracked on top Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I'm new to the world of baking but I made the Dark Choc Brownies according to the instructions over the weekend. It taste great !

However, I noticed that half-way during the baking, the top surface of the brownies started to crack. I was using dark colored baking tray and lined it with aluminium foil. Is this normal ? What setting should I adjust to prevent the surface from cracking ?
flange

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Dark Choc Brownies Reply with quote

Yummy brownies. I cooked them according to recipe which used 1.5 bars of chocolate. Next time I will use 2 bars though because it was a tad on the sweet side for me and I'd prefer a darker bitter choc taste.
Mei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Cups to Grams Reply with quote

This is in relation to the referral website (www.foodnetwork.com) above

1 cup is 250ml but....
How much is one cup of onions? potatoes? broccoli?
Not 250grams of it right?

How do I know how much of every one cup measurement do I put into my cooking?

Btw, AWESOME site! I've experimented with a few dishes that turn out BEAUTIFULLY. Keep up the fantastic work!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cups to Grams Reply with quote

Mei wrote:
1 cup is 250ml but....
How much is one cup of onions? potatoes? broccoli?
Not 250grams of it right?

How do I know how much of every one cup measurement do I put into my cooking?

In the U.S., most recipes are written with only volumetric quantities for ingredients. This is probably because most families in the U.S. don't have scales in their kitchen. It is also a real pain for someone running a website like Cooking For Engineers where volumetric measurements are pretty much useless for over half my readership. To handle volume to mass conversion, I find myself utilizing two tools: my digital scales and the USDA Nutrient Standards.

Some coversions I use so often that I have memorized: 1 cup sugar = 200 g, 1 cup packed brown sugar = 220g, 1 cup sifted flour = 125 g (unsifted can weigh up to 160 g and who knows what some recipe books assume you use - Cooking For Engineers always presents recipes with sifted flour measurements).
abo gato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Dark chocolate brownies Reply with quote

I made these the other night....they were some of the best brownies we have ever had....and I have got some fine brownie recipes. I would caution everyone to not bake these too much. Michael says 35 minutes....I baked mine for maybe 26 minutes. You never want to overbake brownies....the reason they are so good is that they are slightly underdone. The edges had a nice crispy crunch and the inner pieces were gooey and very nicely chocolatey. I am going to elevate this recipe to the top of the brownie list, it was that good.

One proviso, I always use Mexican vanilla....if you have access to this, please try it too....the difference it makes in any baked good is amazing.

Abo Gato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an English Control and Instrument Engineer! and the brownies are very very good, the best i have tried! You dont get good brownies in Britain! Very very Tasty!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Cuting Brownies Reply with quote

I've used a pizza cutter to cut brownies and have found it to be less than satisfactory. THE thing to use is a plastic knife. You know, the things that people sometimes use at picnics. The plastic knife cuts through brownies and bar cookies like nobody's business!! Try it, you'll be glad you did.
Elizabeth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Best Chewy Brownies Reply with quote

For those who like chewy brownies, I have found no better recipe than the "Deluxe Brownies" from the original Betty Crocker Cookbook. Trust me since, even though I am a chocolate lover, I would pass up a cake-like brownie. The same recipe appears in other Betty Crocker baking cookbooks. I would reproduce it here if it weren't for copyright laws. FYI, it includes three eggs (for an 8" square pan), but that does not negatively impact the chewiness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: