Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Bean Soup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Three Bean Soup Reply with quote

ultra simple and delicious soup - quick prep, but needs 3-4 hours of simmering - or refrigerate and serve next day - for best flavor.

the basics to this I adapted from Chef Longwind; modified for quantity, clarity and seasonings.

be aware - this makes about 8 servings of soup. it reheats well, I would not recommend freezing it.

slice three strips of bacon into roughly 0.5 inch / 2-3 cm cuts
slice into long-wise quarters, then dice, one hot dog.
chop a large onion to a medium dice

in a heavy bottomed pot, fry the bacon and hot dog chunkettes until the bacon fat starts to crisp. add onions, continue to fry down until onions are soft.

add 1-2 cloves of medium minced garlic and stir through; fry additional 5 minutes to sweeten the garlic.

add, including can liquid:
two 15.x oz / 880 grams by weight cans of pinto beans
one 15.x oz / 440 grams by weight can of black beans
one 15.x oz / 440 grams by weight can of dark red kidney beans

seasoning: (many options per individual taste, here's mine)
salt - take care to not over-salt at the outset; taste & adjust at end
fresh black pepper
1 tablespoon / 15 ml celery seed

this mix needs to simmer at a very low temp for minimum three hours. stir occasionally - adjust frequency to how much may be gooping up on the bottom of the pan. use a flame tamer as needed.

Consistency:
check the consistency every 15 minutes or so as the simmer starts - beans absorb liquids....
depending on the liquid content by brand of the beans, it may be necessary to thin the mixture to a soup consistency. I use chicken stock/broth. other options: milk/cream

when it's all hot&bubbly&simmered - serve in a large shallow bowl with crackers or biscuits.

Quantities:
the controlling quantity factor here is how much is in a can of prepared beans. to prepare a smaller quantity one could use dry beans, soaking / re-hydrating. a basic rule of thumb is dry bean double in weight when soaked/re-hydrated - but I have very limited experience re-hydrating these types of beans - regrets cannot provide a lot of detailed info for starting with dried beans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum