Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fettucine alfredo with fresh asparagus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking for Two
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Fettucine alfredo with fresh asparagus Reply with quote

This is a slightly tedious prep, but comes together very quickly and is a very tasty dish.
Originally (2011) attributed to Mario Batali - but I am unable to find any video/photo of the dish, so this is basically me executing the written recipe "ala WingIt."

Home / hand grate about one cup of cheese from a block of good Parmesan cheese.
Do not use the green can stuff, or a fine powdery grate.

80 grams of fettuccine per person; cook to your preferred doneness. Reserve about two cups of the cooking liquid / water prior to draining pasta. (see notes below)

For two, roughly 10 ounces / 280 grams green asparagus, prepared as follows:
Rinse & cut off and reserve the tips.
Boil water in a shallow pan, salt, cook asparagus tips 5-6 minutes - al dente - not mushy. Drain and hold asparagus tips.

Hold the root end, using a vegetable peeler, peel off thin slices of the stalks from root end to tip end; plunk the peels in cold water as you go.
(see notes below)

About 4 minutes prior to "pasta done" - in a non-stick ten inch pan (for two) melt 4 tbsp / 55 grams unsalted butter, add the drained slivered asparagus. Do not salt / pepper until after the cheese has been added and you've checked for seasoning. Toss the asparagus in the pan every 30-50 seconds; do not allow it to saute / fry / clump into a stuck together mass.

After 2-3 minutes, add the drained pasta and toss in the pan to mix, or use utensils, or whatever - to create a nice physical mix of asparagus slivers and pasta. continue to toss and cook about 4 minutes. the thin asparagus slivers cook fast - actually they could be eaten raw.

Sprinkle about 1/3 of the grated Parmesan over the pasta, toss to mix & melt. add reserved pasta water as needed to maintain a tossable consistency. (see notes below on cheese) Repeat, adding a second 1/3 of the grated cheese. Add fresh ground black pepper between tosses to taste.

Reserve the final 1/3 grated cheese for topping.

Using the pasta liquid to keep things moving, add back the asparagus tips to warm through - this only takes 2-3 minutes.

When the cheese has melted and combined with the pasta water to make a nice sauce, plate & serve - I put it on with local bi-color sweet color cut off the cob and frozen last summer. Top with remaining grated Parmesan cheese

plated:

Notes:

Many disappointments / failures come from not knowing how things are going to work out.... so here's my tips on how to make this dish work:

The pasta:
First time I cut the boiling time short, figuring since it would be further cooked, I didn't want it over cooked. Well, it does not actually cook to any further degree being tossed in the pan - so cook it to your preferred degree before draining.

The Asparagus Peels:
Just lift them out of the cold water and into the saute pan. Do not overcook - they only need 2-3 minutes in a sizzling / popping pan. Toss frequently - they will stick / bind together into a mass if left to their own devices. If they stick together, mechanically break up the mass prior to adding the pasta.

The Cheese:
Do NOT add all the cheese at one go in a thick mass. Take some care to sprinkle it thinly over the surface and toss it in to melt. First time I made the dish, I wound up with "globs" of melted Parmesan in the pan - the sprinkles should melt and combine with the (added) water to make a nice sauce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking for Two All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum