Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To: Seasoning Cast Iron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Cooley wrote:
I haven't tried to "season" it per se, but it's already built up a nice finish which inhibits sticking.

Well then, you're done. Move on, time for other things. Such as, enjoying some food cooked in your fancy pan.

xo, Biggles
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after blasting that old Griswold I took the 'use it and it will happen' approach - although I did 'restrict' it to fatty stuff like bacon and high fat ground beef for a couple weeks. since I didn't need to have it seasoned to perfection by tonight's dinner time, it worked. it'll do fried eggs no problem - and the pan is light enough that I can toss & pan flip them for over easy.
dindin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: seasoning carbon steel with flaxseed oil failure Reply with quote

I tried the seasoning method here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4

Repeated this 12-14 times, it created a beautiful slick shiny black layer, just like in the video.

When I tried frying some hamburgers they stuck and when cleaning the pan seasoning came off partially. Hamburgers don't stick in my (seasoned by use) relatively new Lodge cast iron pan. I was expecting an even better result after seasoning this carbon steel pan this way.

So I must have done something wrong.

I used filtered flaxseed oil, made sure the oil was way past the smoking point each time, fully dried.

I can only think of 2 things that may have caused my problems.

1. Most people seem to recommend a temp of 500F for seasoning. I kept measuring temperature and I did go up to over 600F on the stovetop, and I kept the pan on there for a few minutes, until it stopped smoking completely. Now I'm not sure if I was partially burning off layers at 600-650F.

I know I can use the oven to maintain a steadier temp, but that is a much longer process.

So my questions are:

1) Should I make sure to stay around 500F on the stovetop, and not exceed 600F? Would that make a difference?

2) Is it necessary for the pan to cool down completely between cycles? Sometimes I let it come down to just below 200F before seasoning again.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the "coating" flaked off, that's a pretty big indication the applied oil was too thick.

you can see in the video - perhaps a tablespoon of oil? wiped around with a paper towel, which likely absorbed 90% or more of the volume.

thin" is the operative word
many layers/repeats - eleven is mentioned.

overheated? that's possible. and overheating thick layers will make the situation worse.

as for cooling down, watch the video. he puts his hand flat on the bottom of the pan. despite asbestos chef fingers, that's not going to work at 200'F +/-

and this is why I use the "just cook fatty stuff until it is non-stick" method.....

I also have to point out the "if you need to reason" issue. I have pans that were "seasoned" in the 1940's. they don't need re-seasoning. the need to re-season is due to some goof in use / care. like when your Thanksgiving guest sister-in-law cleans it up with a Brillo pad . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum