Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Caviar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor,

It is probably safe to assume that Mr. Chu DOES use the word caviar to expressly mean "sturgeon roe" and uses the word roe for general fish eggs. He says it in the post and even says that another fish's roe can be sold as caviar only if preceded by the name of the fish. In that case, I think I'd have to agree that the flavor and texture of tobiko (flying fish roe) isn't similar to that of caviar (sturgeon roe). The other fish mentioned in the article - paddlefish and hackleback are much more similar.

Jonathan S.
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: good points Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Professor,

It is probably safe to assume that Mr. Chu DOES use the word caviar to expressly mean "sturgeon roe" and uses the word roe for general fish eggs. He says it in the post and even says that another fish's roe can be sold as caviar only if preceded by the name of the fish. In that case, I think I'd have to agree that the flavor and texture of tobiko (flying fish roe) isn't similar to that of caviar (sturgeon roe). The other fish mentioned in the article - paddlefish and hackleback are much more similar.

Jonathan S.

ok.
Old Navy Doc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Beluga caviar Reply with quote

In 1965, the US Navy sent me to Iran to help control a cholera epidemic. I visited the Caspian Sea area and was able to purchase caviar directly from the "caviar factory," as the processing plant was called. After doing so, my companions and I went across the road to an outdoor restaurant and enjoyed charcoal-grilled sturgeon -- incredibly tasty and boneless (knocked out the one large piece of cartilage). Learned that the Europeans like their caviar packed with a weak lye (sodium hydroxide) solution in contrast to the sodium chloride solution used in and for the USA.

The cost for half a kilo (500 grams) of the beluga was $14.32!!! The salesman apologized that he had sold the last of the "golden caviar" [?000 grade?] the day before. I said, "I thought all the golden caviar was reserved for the Shah." He replied, "What the Shah does know, the Shah doesn't get!" The caviar lasted for three months. My wife, two boys and I finally got rid of it by spreading it on buttered toast. Honestly, 500 grams of caviar is just too much to deal with.
Alex Coyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Shad roe Reply with quote

I apologize for making a slight change in the fascinating subject of caviar, but am about to do so. When I lived in Tulsa thirty years ago, Wolferman's Grocery (Tulsa, Kansas City) sold canned shad roe which we broiled in butter. I loved it, but have since moved to a small town in southern Oklahoma where such things are unavailable. I have searched for it ever since with no luck. Does anybody know of a mail order source for canned shad roe? If so, please post; I would be eternally gratefull.

Alex
jkarle1106

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never tasted any caviar that I liked enough to pay money for.
But one of the best things I've eaten along the same line is a set of deep fried shad row. In a restaurant it Charleston S. C. it's about $10 for the whole dinner.
Napa Girl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Roe Reply with quote

Was reading through your posts on Caviar...and thought I would let you know that there are other great alternatives besides Tobiko and shad. There are a few producers of Fish Roes in the Midwest that are actually quite delicious....A chef friend of mine produces some great Roes in Michigan from sustainable fish such as Steelhead, Char and Trout. He cures then with infused sea salts so he has natural, smoked, and sake cured. He sells most of it to restaurants, but there are other companies in the midwest who produce good roes as well...I'm sure you can find through google....Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: ANGER STOP THE PAIN Reply with quote

Teasing Anger you all are sick. this doesnt even sound like good food. the rich people are why animal abuse will never end. cause you all think you need to eat good and well. we humans caj live without eating this shit. it is really gross and humans are so weak and fat and ugly . they are the number one polluters and abusers. the man is the biggest abuser why? people want to believe god is man, why? man is the sickess creature out there. they are not beautiful like a cat or dog. ANIMALS ARE AMAZING CREATURES. THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER THEN YOU AND ME.WE SLAUGHTER SEALS, TIGERS, DEARS, AND ALL ANIMALS FOR MONEY. WE DO NOT DO THIS CAUSE WE ARE IN NEED OF FOOD LIKE A CAVEMAN . THERE SO MUCH FOOD OUT THERE AND IT DOESNT EVEN INVOLVE A ANIMAL.

[Edited by Michael Chu: There was a good deal more content to this post, but the language and writing deteriorated to the point that it was extremely offensive - which I believe was part of the point this poster was trying to make. I invite the poster to post his or her opinions but in a more constructive and less crude fashion. It started to sound like someone from HBO's Deadwood or Scorsese's Departed was posting.]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: end animal abuse Reply with quote

sorry about my spelling. but evrybody gets what i was saying. we where the better creatures because of our brains and things we can do with our hands. really did any of you ever loose a animal when you where a kid? why do thoughs feeling change when man grows up? humans now are far from the better creature. thats why every animal looks down on us now. all we do is hurt out there. we kill animals for money and sports. i hate it. there is to much pain out there now. this shit needs to end now. there is no understanding behind this way we acted, because we can live without it. it is nothing we need. Anger Anger Anger Anger Sad
Auspicious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: end animal abuse Reply with quote

OT, but I'll try to wander back on in the end.

To Guest, your credibility would be higher if you registered and became an identifiable individual. I'm going to pick and choose from your post for context. I don't intend to change your meaning, only to provide placekeepers.

Anonymous wrote:
sorry about my spelling. but evrybody gets what i was saying

From my perspective, spelling and grammar have developed to aid communication. If you don't care enough to make the effort to communicate clearly perhaps you don't care much about your subject.

Anonymous wrote:
thats why every animal looks down on us now.

Perhaps you think this, but I see no substantiation. We all fall victim to anthropomorphism from time to time; we should not confuse kindly thoughts and fantasies with reality. There is no demonstrable fact in your words.

Anonymous wrote:
because we can live without it. it is nothing we need.

We can live without much we choose not to do without. People don't make food from animals just to make money; other people offer money for food in order to avoid tasks they have no time, inclination, skill, or stomach for. There are lots of reasons I buy meat products from Giant or Costco or specialty stores. In honesty one is that I really prefer not to become intimate with the process of turning animals into food. There is value to me in not having to do it myself and I pay for that.

There are certainly people in the meat industry who would take shortcuts in order to glean a greater return from the process. In the United States and numerous other countries there are governmental, social, or religious mandates that protect animals from cruelty and the consumer from health shortfalls. In many places around the world there are procedures to protect those who report transgressions from inside and outside organizations.

Reasonable people can disagree on what is right on the basis of the same set of facts. As a society we find consensus (not unanimity). That process works best and fastest when we do not confuse opinion with fact.

Freedom of speech in the United States serves to allow anyone to voice their opinion, and to offer information they believe is fact. The media and particularly the Internet make speech faster, cheaper, and more efficient.

For my part, I want the animals I depend upon to be treated well, fed properly, not drugged, and killed humanely. I want to see efficiency in the use of the products and waste minimized. I often pay extra for both the fact of those desires and reasonable assurance that the facts are indeed ... well ... facts.

On that note, and actually relevant to caviar, to me that means if a fish is killed harvesting roe for caviar I want to see the flesh of the fish used for something and not wasted.

If it makes you feel any better, I am an abysmal fisherman. I quite literally dragged a fishing line behind my boat all the way across the Atlantic Ocean and caught nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
sorry about my spelling. but evrybody gets what i was saying. we where the better creatures because of our brains and things we can do with our hands. really did any of you ever loose a animal when you where a kid? why do thoughs feeling change when man grows up? humans now are far from the better creature. thats why every animal looks down on us now. all we do is hurt out there. we kill animals for money and sports. i hate it. there is to much pain out there now. this shit needs to end now. there is no understanding behind this way we acted, because we can live without it. it is nothing we need.

you are in fact a sorry mess about many things - your spelling, your language, your infantile attitude, your extremism.

if you wish any rationale being to consider opinions you hold, you need to grow up - really fast. my cat wouldn't put up with your attitude.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: animals Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
sorry about my spelling. but evrybody gets what i was saying. we where the better creatures because of our brains and things we can do with our hands. really did any of you ever loose a animal when you where a kid? why do thoughs feeling change when man grows up? humans now are far from the better creature. thats why every animal looks down on us now. all we do is hurt out there. we kill animals for money and sports. i hate it. there is to much pain out there now. this shit needs to end now. there is no understanding behind this way we acted, because we can live without it. it is nothing we need.

you are in fact a sorry mess about many things - your spelling, your language, your infantile attitude, your extremism.

if you wish any rationale being to consider opinions you hold, you need to grow up - really fast. my cat wouldn't put up with your attitude.
Laughing Out Loud Shock Shock Shock Shock Laughing Out Loud just because someone is not smart and knows good grammer doesnt mean they are wrong. sorry if you met my cat. you would understand the love there.that is another thing ejacation is over rated. you can not do or live without it. not like when our moms grew up and had 8 kids and still did it. you can not do that now. you will fall . school does not make a human better. you are a fool to think so. with the way you write . sorry you just dont say fuck you, you are rude with the proper grammer. then that makes you the better person. wright bitch..i dont think so. anger is such a real emotion. you all have it to. you are far from better then that person who is angry about people who eat and kill animals

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fascinating. let's take a look:

>just because someone is not smart and knows good grammer doesnt mean they are wrong.

if someone is "not smart" odds are they may not have formulated a rationale opinion.
oh, that's "grammar"
no spell checker?

>sorry if you met my cat. you would understand the love there.
haven't met your cat; my cat loves squirrel meat - chicken livers, too.

>that is another thing ejacation is over rated. you can not do or live without it.
not like when our moms grew up and had 8 kids and still did it.

now this is really interesting. "our moms" have been "ejaculating." fascinating.
technically there a "female ejaculation" noted - I doubt that's what you mean - as you can't spell that either.
note to self: take up collection of unused apostrophes for the textually challenged.
second note to self: find out what human sex has to do with fish eggs.

>you can not do that now. you will fall .
gravity makes everything fall, to what specifically is the reference?

>school does not make a human better. you are a fool to think so. with the way you write . sorry you just dont say fuck you, you are rude with the proper grammer. then that makes you the better person. wright bitch..i dont think so. anger is such a real emotion. you all have it to. you are far from better then that person who is angry about people who eat and kill animals

wright bitch - oh dear, where does one start with that? we got mill wrights, wheel wrights, LIl'Joe Cartwright . . . check your spelling and let us know.
did you mean: "you all have it, too" ?
as a point of fact: "smart" has nothing to do with "education" - some humans have an innate intelligence, others just rant and rave in complete ignorance.
heck, if you get a bit more hot under the collar, you'll cook yourself and we can feed you to . . . .uh,,,, what group of carnivores would be acceptable?
Jim in Idaho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Recipe For Caviar Wanted Reply with quote

9-24-07 A Napa Girl posted she has a friend who makes caviar from Steelhead, Char and Trout eggs by infused salts for natural, also smoked and sake cured. I'd love to have some of these recipes as I sometime catch Steelhead, Trout and King Salmon loaded with eggs. I do not know how to treat or cure them for human consumption. The old borax trick works to make fish bait but they are not eatable. I will appreciate any and all help. Smile
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: More Caviar info Reply with quote

There's what looks to be a good overview of caviar information at http://homecooking.about.com/od/seafood/a/caviarvarieties.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

The cooking for engineers section of the caviar site has HIGHER prices than the front page. Just an FYI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: