Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Biscotti
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruthie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: soft biscotti Reply with quote

Quote:
My question will be anathema to some...

How do I get a soft, chewy biscotti.

bought some at a show recently and they were wonderful.

any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure they weren't Napolitane? They are formed into the same shape loaf and sliced the same way, but they are cakier and aren't baked the second time. They usually have glaceed cherries in them.

Now that's a recipe I've been hunting for for ages! Anyone know how to make them???

Biscotti are meant to be crisp and firm since they're meant for dipping in liquids. Softer or cakier, and they wouldn't hold up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: biscotti - meaning Reply with quote

I think it should be fairly obvious that biscotti does not mean "twice baked" but "biscuits"...
to confirm, type "twice baked biscuits" into google translate - yielding "biscotti al forno due volte" Shock
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: biscotti - meaning Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think it should be fairly obvious that biscotti does not mean "twice baked" but "biscuits"...
to confirm, type "twice baked biscuits" into google translate - yielding "biscotti al forno due volte" Shock

The English word "biscuit" and the Italian word "biscotto" are both derived from Latin: "pan bis coctus" meaning twice baked bread.

Simply typing "twice-baked" in Google translate yields "biscotti".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: cracking biscotti Reply with quote

How do I keep the top of the loaf from cracking during first bake? When I cut them, they tend to fall apart
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gently score the top edge before baking with a knife coated in butter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: cracks Reply with quote

What causes the logs to crack? The dough did not feel dry, in fact was just a little sticky.
auroraleveroni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Biscotti Reply with quote

Really like the pictures of your Biscotti Recipe however as an old 93 year full-blooded Italian who married a full blooded Italian, I hate to put a damper on your definition of Biscotti---actually translated it means : "cookies" and it can be any kind of cookies, so when you name them it would be best to say what they really are. I make the Anise Biscotti Logs and have been doing so for the past 83 years. Just 10 years old when my mother first taught me how to make them.

Of course there are many biscotti -- Macaroons, Cannoli, Baci di Dama, Pignoli Cenci just to name a few.
Shelvis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Great recipe Reply with quote

Made half batch as instructed the other half with anise. Used electric knife for cutting and both turned out great. Yum. Thank you.
Lyceme

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, you cooked twice? What an impressive effort. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: