Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Biscotti
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devereauxd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Looks alone Reply with quote

Thank you for your recipe. Your pictures alone answered many questions and your hints gave me a jump start to making biscotti. I will get busy now.

Devereaux D
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Nice recipe!
valeri1274

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: dimensions? Reply with quote

All the comments and no one questioned the size of the loaves ? I'll give you that they look about 10 inches long, but by 2 inches no way- the width looks at least 4-5 " long and this is supposed to be for engineers- ha ha!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: dimensions? Reply with quote

valeri1274 wrote:
All the comments and no one questioned the size of the loaves ? I'll give you that they look about 10 inches long, but by 2 inches no way- the width looks at least 4-5 " long and this is supposed to be for engineers- ha ha!

yup. but engineers read the directions.
/q
With your hands, form the batter into two loaves of approximately 10-in. (25 cm) by 2 in. (5 cm) each.
/uq

engineers who bake know formed loaves change dimensions in the baking process.
mac.adorer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: HAHAHA Reply with quote

Thank you for the recipe and HAHAH to your reply regarding the loaf changing dimension...

I'm not an engineer but it's funny to see engineers bashing each other =P

Thank you none the less. Will bake this over the weekend.

Mac.adorer Teasing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Biscotti Reply with quote

Great recipe! I wish I saw this before I made my very first batch. Easy directions. My favorite thing besides the pictures is the recipe at the botton - dig that layout!
Helen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Biscotti Reply with quote

Here is a suggestion for the second baking which was handed down to me by a very kind Portuguese woman. Instead of turning the individual pieces or trying to stand them up on end evenly spaced, after slicing them, leave them on their sides and put whole wire cooling rack into the oven to finish the second baking. The heat and air can bake both sides at the same time. I was very happy Elsie shared one of her baking tricks with me saving me time and effort.
Passionatecook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Biscotti Reply with quote

My biscotti are in the oven...our granddaughter is allergic to treenuts, so I've substituted cranberries...yum, I'm waiting to taste them... Big smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made biscotti using this recipe (omitting the orange zest and adding a splash more almond extract) a few times now, and they always turn out perfect. Thanks!
--Marika
chanman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been making this recipe successfully for Xmas gifts this year. Instead of the slivered almonds, orange zest, and almond extract though, I've been using amaretto, lemon zest, dried cranberries, and candied ginger
dgasler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Biscotti Reply with quote

Enjoying the discussion.

My question will be anathema to some...

How do I get a soft, chewy biscotti.

bought some at a show recently and they were wonderful.

any help would be appreciated.

Don
angegear

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer, Don, is that you don't.

I think you're looking for a shortbread cookie recipe.
mata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Missing ingredients Reply with quote

Nice recipe and clear instructions, but the list of ingredients at the top of the page does not include the almond and vanilla extracts, although they are included in the diagram.

Last edited by mata on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Missing ingredients Reply with quote

mata wrote:
Nice recipe and clear instructions, but the list of ingredients at the top of the page does not include the almond and vanilla extract, although they are included in the diagram.

Thanks. I've fixed the article to include the extracts.
merry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: measuring flour in biscotti recipe Reply with quote

I've got a batch of biscotti in the oven as I write. For the first time, I decided to weigh the sifted flour. But I didn't get the 250 grams you list; I got 225 -- so I added a little more flour till it reached 250g.
I know people measure flour in different ways. I gently fill the measuring cup tablespoon by tablespoon and level with knife. I know some people scoop with the measuring cup and then level. The way I do it may be why I end up with less flour. Since I'm making your recipe, it would help to know how you measure flour.
Many thanks, Merry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: