Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Biscotti
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added some Galliano instead of the almond extract.
Came out with great aroma Smile
Aggiemom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Crisping the Biscotti Reply with quote

I return the cut biscotti to the oven on a wire rack placed on the cookie sheet. This allows the heat to surround the biscotti and make it crispier.
Guest 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: substitute for sugar Reply with quote

For those looking for a sugar substitute in their recipes , Stevia is Excellent. It is a naturally occurring sweetener that comes from a root. Stevia is excellent for diabetics, contains absolutely no chemicals, and can be found in most health food stores. I hope it works out.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reducing the ingredients by half as im making biscotto for the first time! i used milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate (but now im regretting it coz its just too sweet!)

im not sure if im doing it right but there's a eggy smell and taste. what is going wrong? shld i whisk my egg and sugar longer?
Zigmac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: cutting biscotti Reply with quote

I use an electric knife to cut my biscotti. Using an electric knife allows you to cut the loaves immediately, no need to cool down. Also, can't wait to try the suggestion about lining the biscotti up on their bottoms, for the second baking. Sounds like a great tip!
Lelly

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Biscotti Reply with quote

I agree that the second bake is better on a wire tray to ensure hot air circulates round more easily, definitely helps to create the hard texture required. Love the precise wording in the recipe, great for people like me who can get a bit anal when trying out new stuff !! Wink
Louschu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Biscotti Reply with quote

I thought I would add some of my recipe for Biscotti's . I use both chopped waluts and slivered almonds. I also add 2 Tb of Anise Seed.....my family loves the licorice taste. Betty
tonnyaarp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Biscotti history Reply with quote

When serving (Army) in Italy for 3 years 1962-65, I lived off base and learned Italian and their cooking. The history of biscotti goes back to the roman army days of long marches. The cooks deliberaly did not put any butter, or grease intro these biscotti so the soldiers could put them in their small packs and eat them along the way without any fear of them getting rancid. We keep ours in a biscotti jar for weeks! Buon appetito!
kim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Well-Organized Recipe. Reply with quote

Wow, this recipe is well-organized! Good work. I loved it!
The visuals were great for those who have trouble visualizing what the recipe consists of.

Yum!
michding

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: my biscottis are hard rock? Reply with quote

What texture should the biscotti be? i followed the receipe, and the bisocttis are like a hard rock? is that normal? how can i improve it?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: my biscottis are hard rock? Reply with quote

michding wrote:
What texture should the biscotti be? i followed the receipe, and the bisocttis are like a hard rock? is that normal? how can i improve it?

Biscotti is pretty hard - they have to hold up to dipping in hot liquid while being eaten. Take your biscotti and dip it into the beverage of your choice - coffee, hot chocolate, tea, milk, whatever suits your fancy - for one second, then take a bite.
webly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Mmmmm Reply with quote

Great recipe,

been looking around to find a recipe to make biscotti as gifts for christmas - this is defnitely a great recipe and worked brilliantly - both times! (the first batch never made it as far as presents we barely let them cool before wolfing them with coffee)

Thanks for the clear instuctions and the whole website is great
Christina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Biscotti..Italian Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

After reading everyones posts thought I woild clear up some things here on Italian Biscotti!!!!
1. You must put Anise seeds in your cookies
2. Walnuts
3. Not almond extract...they are Anise Biscottis (Italian ones)

Of course there are other ways to make Biuscottis but this is the Italian way......hope this helps....this is my Grandmas way from Italy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote

Hi

I used the standard recipe with the following modifications by adding:

1. A bit of butter (when beating the eggs)
2. An additional 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract (as recommended earlier)
3. 1 tsp of milk when the mixture became too sticky

The biscotti came out really well. The only comment I would give would be to remove the smaller parts from the 2nd and 3rd baking process because they would become too hard if baked longer than this.

Thanks so much for such a wonderful recipe!
Syahani

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to say thank you for this lovely recipe. I have been using this recipe as my basic recipe and improvised the flavors. I started selling my biscotti and now they come hit and sold out! Even my nieces love them. Thank you for your recipes. I tried a few others and i never failed! Smile

Syahani
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: