Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Kitchen Thermometers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not post a link right here to the cheapest/best value Thermapen you'd recommend? I"m not going to spend $100; but something on the order or $10-$20 bucks might just spur an impulse buy...
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermapen is pretty much "the best you can buy" - and they know it.

I've never seen them in the $10-20 range.
I bought a digital when visiting the CIA in NY - paid about $20 for it; glad I didn't pay more.

sometime back they were selling off the beige/light brown ugly color at a decent discount (explained as "it's ugly, nobody wants this color, here's the color cheep) - tried to buy some but could not manage to navigate their site.

my standby is a dial analog Weston model 2261 - it has an 8" probe.
works like splendid for poultry and big roasts. it hasn't lost calibration in 20 years+, then again, it's not tossed / kept in the junk drawer - I drilled a hole in my knife block to keep it handy and properly cared for.

for some oddball reason I actually prefer the analog "see how fast the needle moves" in judging "is it soup yet?" and, put bluntly, the slower response of the analog eliminates the flashing number display making one wonder - gosh, what is the real temp....? the long probe is especially useful for sticking it in and then withdrawing it to check the "depth of temp profile" - a curious solution to the "did I hit a bone?" situation.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking if Thermapens were in the $10-$20 range it might be fun to play with one as you have done.

I guess I'll stick with my (runs to check model #) Weston 2261!

Do great chefs cook alike? Big smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Comark PDT300 as a cheaper alternate Reply with quote Delete this post

I took a cheesemaking class and the instructor was using a Comark PDT300 digital thermometer. It worked well in class so I bought one from Amazon for less than $20. Read time is about 5-7 seconds. Not as good as the Thermopen but great for the price. It also has the advantage of being waterproof. Handles temps from -58 to +300 so it can't be used for frying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: