Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Kitchen Thermometers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: use lab-grade thermometers! Reply with quote

I'm surprised more people don't use laboratory thermometers.

VWR sells a fully-stainless digital thermometer with a foot-long stainless needle probe. certified ANSI accuracy +/- 0.1ºC, and capable of temperature fanged up to 500ºF (*perfect as a candy thermometer)

the yellow 'lollipop' version is quite affordable ($20) and a VWR will ship to residential addresses (pick up some beakers while you're at it, eh?)
firezip99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Thermapen price reduction? Reply with quote

A few weeks ago thermoworks had a $69 private sale on the Thermapen (normally $89) - I got an email. It wasn't on their website though. It expired now. I called today and the rep on the phone said he couldn't give the price anymore but that if I could wait a few days there would be another offer on the thermoworks website. He said it wouldn't be as low though. I'm wondering if the special pricing might mean a new model on the horizon?
michal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a new splash-proof super-fast model is now featured on the ThermoWorks site.
The specifications include Range (-58.0°F to 572.0°F) and Operating Range (-4 to 122°F), and i was wondering whether someone could kindly clarify what the difference between the two is.
It is priced at $96, whereas the original is now sold for only $74 (but is not splash-proof). Which leads to my next question, how can it be immersed in liquid, while not splash-proof?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michal wrote:
Well, a new splash-proof super-fast model is now featured on the ThermoWorks site.
The specifications include Range (-58.0°F to 572.0°F) and Operating Range (-4 to 122°F), and i was wondering whether someone could kindly clarify what the difference between the two is.
It is priced at $96, whereas the original is now sold for only $74 (but is not splash-proof). Which leads to my next question, how can it be immersed in liquid, while not splash-proof?

I believe the operating range refers to what temperature the device will work in (the entire device). The range is what range it can measure (the tip of the probe). For example, you can measure temperatures well below freezing, but you can't freeze the whole thermometer.

The original is not splash proof and cannot be immersed in liquid. The probe of course can be.
michal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the operating range refers to what temperature the device will work in (the entire device). The range is what range it can measure (the tip of the probe). For example, you can measure temperatures well below freezing, but you can't freeze the whole thermometer.

The original is not splash proof and cannot be immersed in liquid. The probe of course can be.

Thank you, Michael, for your kind reply.
The reason for my asking is that i'm not sure which one i should get. It's not a huge price difference, but i'm just confused about the new "splash-proof" feature, and whether it's worth the extra $22, since the $74 model, i.e., "the original", is the probe you tested, submerged in water...
dhcable

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: cooking thermometers probes Reply with quote

I think I want A probe thermometer w/cord so as not to open oven door but, for the life of me I can't understand you saying the PROBE can read between -4 and 122F only. I want to cook my bird to 161F. Thanx
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: cooking thermometers probes Reply with quote

dhcable wrote:
I think I want A probe thermometer w/cord so as not to open oven door but, for the life of me I can't understand you saying the PROBE can read between -4 and 122F only. I want to cook my bird to 161F. Thanx

The Thermapen is an instant read thermometer. Try a probe thermometer like the Polder. Sticking a Thermapen in the oven and letting it heat up is a sure way to kill a $90 piece of equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Probe thermometers: Polder vs. Maverick vs. VWR labs Reply with quote

I'm about fed up with my Polder's probe dying out on me a little too frequently (shouldn't I get more than a year out of a probe?). Looking around led me here. I think one of my problems with the Polder is that I've been running the temperature too high on it -- I've got a number of recipes that call for a 450F oven, and that may be what is killing it (it's rated to only 400, no?)

The Maverick ET-85 mentioned above looks more serious -- up to 536F would definitely cover all my cooking needs (even a paella, should I need to measure that one).

Another poster mentioned VWR Labs, and I have to confess that the VWR Alarm Thermometer looks like it would cover my needs as well -- in a slightly more serious packaging.

If I'm ready for a serious thermometer, should I be giving up on the Polder? The probes seem to give up the ghost a little too easily, and I wonder if I shouldn't be looking at a brand that can tolerate the temperatures that I seem to use on occasion (and one that would stand up to strong washing would be nice, too -- Polder cautions about that, if I remember the brochure accurately).

Any advice is appreciated (though I finally found replacement probes on Amazon, and am considering stocking up on a couple)

-- Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this site of interest. They recommend calibrating a thermometer using a crushed/ice slurry. This link provides further information by two experts in the field of, a) food safety and b) the hospitality industry.

http://barfblog.com/blog/139965/09/01/14/pete-snyder-how-properly-calibrate-thermometer

You may also find the following pdf interesting to read. The information on callibration starts on page 4.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re callibration

That pdf link would be

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents2006/choose-right-therm.pdf
gtpnet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: thermometer Reply with quote

I stumbled on a site on Thermometers , and I find it so cool. But I wonder, is this good for cooking too? Thanks for this post.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: thermometer Reply with quote

gtpnet wrote:
I stumbled on a site on Thermometers , and I find it so cool. But I wonder, is this good for cooking too? Thanks for this post.

These are IR thermometers which measure the surface temperature. They are quite useful, but not very good at telling if meat is done since they only measure the surface temperature. I use IR thermometers to measure how hot my pans are, water temp (surface), etc whenever I need a quick reading that doesn't need to be totally accurate.
Osstabo

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: thermometer Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
gtpnet wrote:

These are IR thermometers which measure the surface temperature. They are quite useful, but not very good at telling if meat is done since they only measure the surface temperature. I use IR thermometers to measure how hot my pans are, water temp (surface), etc whenever I need a quick reading that doesn't need to be totally accurate.

Good idea! Thought I have been surprised by author, I have never done that, go home and try it. thanks!
Osstabo

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
in a worth, no.

you can get 4-6 probe digitals for that kind of money; and few home kitchens need to measure -200C to +400C.

you know, I'd take the Ferrari to the grocery store, but the trunk is too small....

Thank for Dilbert! I am looking for it, but i don't know to buy what kinds of thermometers.

Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting this year (2012), Thermoworks started an affiliate program and I've signed up. Now, if you buy anything from them through one of my links, a percentage of the sale will go towards the upkeep of this site! [Please note that this review was written 7 years before any affiliate relationship. I've tried a lot of thermometers and whole-heartedly believe the Thermapen is still the best kitchen thermometer available. If I find something that works better, Cooking For Engineers readers will be the first to know!]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: