Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Grilled Salmon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joecroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Salmon high in Omega-3 Reply with quote

This is a great recipe for winning over people afraid of fish. Today we know there are great benefits to consuming fish like Salmon because it's an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids. But if you really hate fish, you can also get your Omega-3s from flax seed or a suppliment.
jersey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Grilled Salmon Reply with quote

Grilled salmon recipe

Ok, so we've got a nice hot grill here and we're going to go ahead and start some salmon fillets. I've already given it a scrub with a rag with some canola oil on it, and I'm going to go ahead and give it a quick spray with some grill spray here. Be careful not to hold the can too close to the flame here. I'm going to start this salmon with the flesh side down first. I've seasoned that with a dry seasoning mixture of garlic salt and lemon pepper so I'm going to get some good lines on this guy. Then we're going to flip him on the skin side. Once the flesh side is showing up, I've got a butter mixture over here that's got some beer butter and onions and garlic salt in it so I can brush that fish down throughout the cooking process. If you notice, I've got these dials cranked just above the off position. I don't want a really intense heat for this fish, but it's hot enough to cook on. So now we'll shut the lid here and get some of that good smoke kickin'.

Check out this site for more great recipes including free videos:
http://homegarden.expertvillage.com/interviews/barbecue-grilling.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, help me out here. I've been looking over recipes for grilled salmon. Some recipes ask you to remove the skin from the fish and others tell you to grill with the skin intact. What's the difference? Does it change the taste or texture of the flesh? For me, I'd just as soon leave the skin on. The last time I tried to remove the skin from my salmon fillets, I kind of tore the fillets up (I'm kind of goofy.) What are your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Folks, help me out here. I've been looking over recipes for grilled salmon. Some recipes ask you to remove the skin from the fish and others tell you to grill with the skin intact. What's the difference? Does it change the taste or texture of the flesh? For me, I'd just as soon leave the skin on. The last time I tried to remove the skin from my salmon fillets, I kind of tore the fillets up (I'm kind of goofy.) What are your thoughts on this. Thanks.

I keep the skins on. They help keep the salmon together on the grill (especially if you don't pay attention and overcook them so they become flaky). Also, if done properly the skin can be a crispy treat.
Nanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: salmon baked with wasabi mayo Reply with quote

This worked for me once and thereafter, never tasted as good again:

frozen salmon filet coated in olive oil, salt and pepper

then fork or spoon fuls of wasabi mayo on the flesh just enough to coat

bake
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: grilled salmon Reply with quote

I used the marinade tohight with the butter and soy sauce with white wine. I grilled the filet flesh side down for 8 minutes then turned for 4 minutes. The salmon lifted right off the skin and was excellent Smile
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Smoked Salmon Reply with quote

Want to know how this Texan does it? NO?!

Well, we mostly have catfish here in Fort Worth, but I've found a good place for fresh salmon (the grocery store).

I've had salmon most everywhere, even at fine restaurants in the Northwest, but the best I've had (with a single exception) was an afterthought, when I was smoking brisket and ribs on my back porch.

The smoker (with an offset oven, no direct heat) was precisely at 250 degrees F, had been there for hours (so there's wasn't much smoke from newly added wood), when I added 2 large fillets on a rack above the briskets. I smoked them for about an hour, then served immediately after removing from the oven.
Dargis52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Yummy Salamon Reply with quote

What a great site! Thank you so much for all the great recipes. I've always used the rule of thumb that cooking fish usually takes 10 minutes per inch thickness. Has always workded for me.

Salmon is one of our favorites so here are two of our best:

Grilled Glazed Salmon

2 Salmon filets, skinless, approximately 1" thick

In a separage bowl mix the following:

2 TBS Hoisin Sauce
2 TBS Soy Sauce
2 TBS Honey
2 Cloves garlic, smashed and chopped

Place the filets in a zip lock bag and add the marinade. Marinade no longer than 1/2 hour. Pre heat grill on high. (Our grill is a three burner )Place fish rack on grill and add salmon. Turn grill to medium/off/medium and close lid. Grill 5 minutes, turn salmon over and baste with remaining marinade. Close lid and cook 5 more minutes.

If you don't have a grill, this recipe also works well in the broiler.

Number 2:

Cumin Salmon

Preheat oven to 375*

2 Salmon filets, skinless, approximately 1 inch thick

In a separate dish, melt 2 TBS of butter. Add 2 TBS of fresh lemon juice and mix. Pour over salmon filets once slightly cooled.

Sprinkle the salmon with the following :

Cumin - ground
Sea salt
Ground cracked pepper (I use Monteray Steak Seasoning)

Lay whole bay leaves (approximately 2 - 3 per filet) on top.

Bake in oven 15 - 20 minutes. Don't over cook.

Mangia !!!! Cool
[/b]
pics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: white fat? Reply with quote

I just grilled the freshest wild salmon on a grill but when I did, white "stuff" (for lack of a better word) oozed out. Is this Fat? Is the fish o.k. to eat? I have never seen this before and it makes me slightly worried.....
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: white fat? Reply with quote

pics wrote:
I just grilled the freshest wild salmon on a grill but when I did, white "stuff" (for lack of a better word) oozed out. Is this Fat? Is the fish o.k. to eat? I have never seen this before and it makes me slightly worried.....

I'm not sure what the white stuff is - most people call it fat, but I'm not sure if it is. Seems like it's closer to a protein.

In any case, this is normal - but usually only happens when salmon is fully cooked (which in my book means it's over cooked). It's completely edible.
Kelli S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Left over Salmon... Reply with quote

Hi i just have a quick question. How many days is left over Salmon good for??
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Left over Salmon... Reply with quote

Kelli S. wrote:
Hi i just have a quick question. How many days is left over Salmon good for??

Once it's been cooked, it should keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days. A day or two longer if you overcook the salmon.
MJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Cooking salmon... Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody mentioned simply cooking it with olive oil instead of a marinade or glaze. Just rub the oil all over the salmon and bake, grill, or fry. If you use oil that already has dried herbs in it (you can find them at most specialty cooking shops, Pier 1 Imports, and even Marshall's) or make your own - just put olive oil and fresh dried herbs into a bottle and let them marinate together for a few days. I had salmon last night with a garlic & rosemary olive oil on it and a little sea salt - it was awesome.
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Grilled Salmon Reply with quote

Excellent and so easy! I have spent hours on other salmon recipes that weren't nearly as good.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Yummy! Reply with quote

Cooked this recipe up this evening and it was a *huge* hit! I had a vegan guest in the group, so I also cooked the same recipe with some sliced tofu and *that* was the true winner of the evening.

-p.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: