Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how long can one brine a 10 lb turkey?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbonefirst

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: how long can one brine a 10 lb turkey? Reply with quote

I'm experienced and enthusiastic re brining birds. I add herbs and onions and garlic to my brine and all that flavor is infused into the bird. A professional chef told me he brined all chickens for 2 days in the restaurant. So I'm surprised to see expert chefs recommending turkeys being brined for only 2 hrs per pound, or even less, in many experts' advice.
Would love to see any discussion of this. I tend to do a lighter salt - 1 cup fluffy kosher salt to one gallon of water - brine, with lots of herbs and vegetables (celery and carrot) and it is hard for me to resist doing two days submersion. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum