Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kartoffelpuffer and hash browns -- rinse potatoes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Kartoffelpuffer and hash browns -- rinse potatoes? Reply with quote

I have never had the greatest success making hash browns, and last night's attempt at kartofellpuffer came out rather poorly.

I like the German word because it rolls off the tongue so neatly, but really just means potato pancakes.

Anyway, I use russet potatoes.

I'm willing to experiment, but if anyone has sure advice I'd welcome it.

Sometimes I rinse the potatoes and squeeze the excess water out using a dish towel. Sometimes I just squeeze the excess juice out. Sometimes I do nothing at all. In any case, either pancakes or hash browns don't come out very well.

I've learned not to salt the grated potatoes because then they leak moisture.

I'm a little stingy with the grease, which is either bacon fat or peanut oil. Pan is cast iron, and a decent med-high heat (pre-heated).

What am I missing here?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"hash browns" is not universally defined - around here that's sliced/diced potatoes that have been parboiled and then fry finished.

but I'm reading between the lines you are shredding / grating the potato then making a patty?
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct Dilbert.

Never crossed my mind to blanch them gratings, but might be worth a try.

Seems like a bit of extra work, though.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typically one does not blanch the shredded style - the cut / sliced 'chunk' style is.

for making the shredded patty style (or up to "a whole pan size") recipes always use a 'binder' - which is usually egg and often flour.

toss the shreds with the flour, add the beaten egg.
seasoning vary.

the cast iron pan is my preferencel as well - there is a 'trick' to the heat.
I use a liberal dose of oil - but not really 'deep'
the heat has to be high enough to cook them through and form a crust, but if it's too high they'll burn before that happens.

if the centers are wet and falling apart - probably cooked too fast/too hot.

obviously, the thicker the patty, the more touchy the heat issue.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems with both is probably not enough oil. I just don't like fat, so tend to skimp. I've got the heat down right.

When making the potato pancakes, I added the egg first, then the flour. That seems like a BIG mistake. You want the flour to coat the shreds, then the egg to bind them together. Thanks for pointing that out.

Any comments re rinsing and/or squeezing the potatoes?

Another friend suggest different potatoes (Yukon gold), but Russets should work, shouldn't they?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>rinsing / squeezing...
I would not recommend the rinse approach. that 'removes' starch from the potatoes and starch+water=glue and part of the theory is to make the shreds stick together.

the squeezing thing is more difficult to put "rules" on - simple reason: freshly harvested potatoes have a lot of water. in storage they lose water. close to the end of the storage 'season' (may-jun-jul) they're pretty dang dry 'out of the box'

as I shred, I put them on a paper towel. if the towel is thence "soaked" I do the squeeze routine.

I'd stick with the high starch aka Russet types.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>rinsing / squeezing...

The rationale behind that is that either the hash browns or the kartoffelpuffen often come out "gummy" -- too much starch, I assume.

Potato starch is a weird creature. Once thought I'd save some time by making mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker. Diced them as I always do, gave them a couple minutes, let cool. Went and mashed them with the masher, then whipped them with electric mixer as I always do. Could have used the result as wallpaper paste.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>The rationale behind that is that either the hash browns or the kartoffelpuffen often come out "gummy" -- too much starch, I assume.

or there was too much water and they fell apart.

potato Kloss are another one with 'squeezing' issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum