Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joel Robuchon - Las Vegas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Joel Robuchon - Las Vegas Reply with quote

Dinner at JoelRobuchon - Las Vegas / MGM

There are some one dozen three star restaurants in USA; a large number of those in New York City. It's a surprise with all the eateries and famous chefs "doing" Las Vegas, the only three star in Las Vegas is Joel Robucon.
ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michelin_starred_restaurants#United_States_of_America

We opted to splurge. The setting and decor is very elegant and first rate - quality, well done everything, everywhere. Lots of fresh flowers.

Dress is requested as "business formal"
The restaurant does not seat a large number - I'd estimate 30 or so. Hence it is an intimate experience with a top notch service team who are seriously well trained and experienced.

Menu are prix fixe; one can choose from two to 12+ courses (priced at 127 - 435 USD); or ala carte. For example one can choose two appetizers + two mains, or 2+1, or 1+1.
Individual items do vary with the season, the on-line menu is representative but not necessarily what will be on offer at any given time.

Stunning bread, cheese and post dessert delight carts on-hand.
Starters:
- Alaskan King Crab salad. Served cold, excellent selection of dressing, greens, etc.
- Sea urchin with (spiny) lobster medalions. Very tender, very flavorful nibbles.
- Foie Gras.
Without question the best sea urchin and foie gras I've eaten anywhere - domestic or European, including some high end places in France proper!

main courses:
- Whole Spiny Lobster in its juice w/ sweet pepper and lemon grass
- (real!) Iberico Pork w/ polenta and endive spears
The plating / presentation / garnish were just simply spectacular and the food taste/texture/temperature/etc - way over-the-top-perfect. I'm frankly not all that "up" on what makes for how many stars - but the service, environment, table setting, service ware, and what all else - amazingly well done without being pretentious. Not a single boo-boo or glitch _anywhere_ or _anytime_.

Wine: an Australian Grosset Gaia 2000. Very nice red, next to impossible for the retail consumer to obtain; (sigh)

The cheese course (optional) - we're cheeseheads and the cart was too good looking to pass up. Something on the order of 25-30 different selections and our server knew everything about all of them and was able to steer us along our preferences as well as "try a little of this..." I can't name all the different types we sampled, but it was a real treat.
The bread cart (all baking done in-house) came around again, just in case one was insufficiently stuffed.

Desserts:
- Sugar globe filled with mint and fresh berries. This dessert is made by magic! Delectable selection somehow 'encased' in a clear spun/cast/? sugar globe.
- Chocolate souffle with a side of two ice cream flavors. Wonderful texture - a chocolate souffle is not an easy thing to do - I've tried!

Following dessert was a selection a mini-sweets. Intricate, had made on the premises, all lip smacking good.

Pix: sorry about that - we have a few - but I was not comfortable screwing up other people experience by constant knipsing....

Recommendation: for a major splurge, one of the best you'll find. It is multiple hundreds per head before you're done.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best dinner I've ever had in my life was Joel Robuchon. One day I will finish writing this unpublished article: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/314/Joel-Robuchon-Las-Vegas-Nevada
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heehee. the pix are the easy part (g)

when were you there? I see some small changes in linens, etc - the breads / rolls are very similar - the post dessert cart was much changed.

I liked their "butter berg" -
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went in 2012 (pre-baby). That bread cart is one of the best experiences I've ever had. I keep telling people I would gladly pay $50 for the privilege to dine at the bread cart alone. I'd love to go back, but I'm not sure when we'll be able to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum