Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Meat Lasagna
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: lasagne recipe Reply with quote

I came across your recipe and had to make it. OUT OF THIS WORLD. Sorry for the shouting but I prepared it and, while we were eating it, my mother in law came for a visit..well, that was the end of that. She stayed for dinner and had to take some for her husband. I was counting on having leftovers for the next day but so much for that.
[/b]
Adennisla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Can you prepare the lasagne w/bechamel ahead of time? Reply with quote

Unsure
I'd have to say that the posted recipe is much like that my mom made as a kid. Very tasty & hearty! I have been wanting to make the lasagne w/bechamel for some time now, but I'd like to assemble the lasagne ahead of time (I make my pasta from scratch so it can be more time consuming). Can you

A) Prep lasagne with bechamel ahead of time and then bake the next day?
Cool If you bake it the day you prep it...and then reheat it, will it be as good?

The ricotta & mozzarella lasagne is foolproof, but I am scared to branch out for my dinner party tomorrow? Any info would be appreciated!
emanuelez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice recipe, i will try it out.
Personally i cook Lasagne in the traditional Italian way.
In case you're interested just tale a look in my blog. www.cookandsave.com
Keep up the great work!
Alexandra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you prepare the lasagne w/bechamel ahead of time? Reply with quote

Adennisla wrote:
Unsure
I'd have to say that the posted recipe is much like that my mom made as a kid. Very tasty & hearty! I have been wanting to make the lasagne w/bechamel for some time now, but I'd like to assemble the lasagne ahead of time (I make my pasta from scratch so it can be more time consuming). Can you

A) Prep lasagne with bechamel ahead of time and then bake the next day?
Cool If you bake it the day you prep it...and then reheat it, will it be as good?

The ricotta & mozzarella lasagne is foolproof, but I am scared to branch out for my dinner party tomorrow? Any info would be appreciated!

I know this is late, but maybe someone else might find this useful...

I prefer to bake and assemble the lasagne with bechamel the day I serve it. I make the sauces and grate the cheese ahead of time. I usually use fresh lasagne noodles from a local pasta shop, but you could probably make your pasta the day before and it would still be fine the next day. The bechamel sauce can form a skin on it though, so while it is still warm, cover it with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic right up against the sauce so there is no air. I'd be careful making the bechamel sauce too far in advance- I usually make it no more than a day before. The meat sauce, though, actually improves if it sits for a little while in the fridge.

On the day I serve it, I warm up the bechamel and the meat sauces on the stove, assemble, and bake. By using hot sauces, baking time is greatly decreases, so I'm not convinced that putting a cold unbaked lasange straight from the fridge saves much time. Plus, fresh pasta might get a little soggy sitting overnight. Reheated lasange tends to be a little dry to me....
Roses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I noticed this recipe and it sounds absolutely fabulous. However, I'm a little new at this cooking thing, although I love to try new things. I would like to use my own tomato sauce and was wondering what I would need to cut out in order to use it. Should I just brown the meats with pepper and salt and leave the onions and garlic out? Thanks a lot for your help Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roses wrote:
I would like to use my own tomato sauce and was wondering what I would need to cut out in order to use it. Should I just brown the meats with pepper and salt and leave the onions and garlic out? Thanks a lot for your help Smile

What's in your tomato sauce?
Roses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well normally I just sort of "throw things in a pot". However, I am making 3 dishes for a dinner party tomorrow and would rather just use canned pasta sauce because it's faster and easier. I'll probably use a parmasean and oregano type sauce. I know. I'm embarassed to admit it. Teasing
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roses wrote:
I'll probably use a parmasean and oregano type sauce.

In that case, I'd say you should probably just replace the tomatoes with the sauce. Leave the reast of the recipe as is except put in a bit less salt and pepper when you're cooking the meat. Then add more (if needed) after you've mixed the sauce in. The sauce will add a few more flavors that aren't in the original recipe, but should be just fine. You may need to cook it a bit longer to thicken it up also.
Christine Woods

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: delicious lasagna Reply with quote

That this recipe is not a true Italian version is completely irrelevant to me. I've made this lasagna 3 times now, and I and my guests love it. Prep time is about 2 hours, but worth it. It yields 9 sizable servings.

What I do differently: use fresh mozzarella and shred it; drain the grease after the meat is cooked; place the dish in a shallow pan of water in the oven - the top layer stays moist. Also, because I don't like parmesan cheese, I eliminate it and double the ricotta. Guests are free to sprinkle parmesan individually at the table.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: GREAT! Reply with quote

Big smile This is such a great recipe! Easy to make because of the great instructions. I make this every now and then for my husband and we love it.

Scarlet from Canada Big smile
Marpenmar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Lasagne Reply with quote

I noticed that you used the oven ready lasagne noodles. A single friend and father of 5 informed me that you don't have to use those. Just do the same thing with regular lasagne noodles. Cover with foil, bake 1 hour. Uncover and add extra cheese and bake 15 min.
That was a GREAT idea to just spread the cheese on the noodles. That's what I do!
To the person who asked about the alfredo lasagne, here's a recipe:
1 1/2 lb.s hot Italian Sausage (or mild, it's up to you!)
4 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
12 oz. roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 C. White Wine
10 oz. frozen chopped Spinach
15 oz. Ricotta Cheese
12 oz. sliced Mozzarella Cheese
1 C. grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 t. Salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 large Egg
34 oz. Alfredo sauce
12 lasagne noodles.
Remove and discard sausage casings. Brown sausage. Drain and cook garlic and onion in drippings until tender. Stir in sausage, chopped red pepper and wine. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 5 min. or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Meanwhile cook spinach according to package direction(I really dont' think it would be necessary to cook it.). drain and squeeze between paper towels to remove excess liquid. Combine spinach, ricotta cheese, Salt,pepper and egg.
Spready 1 C. Alfredo sauce in greased 9 X 13. Spread cheese mixture over 4 noodles. Place in bottom of dish. Cover with 4 slices mozzarella.
Repeat with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with parmesan.
If desired, cover and chill overnight. Let stand at room temp. 30 min.l before baking.
Cover and bake @ 350 for 45 min. Uncover, cook 15. Let stand 15 min. before serving.
thetoneslvr7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

i just wanted to say that this is the bomb n great job at explaining everything. it was so easy thanks again. toodles *Berni*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I was very turned off by the rude people who felt this forum was a place to degrade vegitarians.

Then vegans shouldn't come into a forum and post the very first message, being something equivalant to "DON'T EAT COWS, FUCKERS".
Mashikoboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning that it's not necessary to boil the pasta before building the lasagna was a most pleasant surprise.

In this regard, I couldn't believe what I saw in the photos, so I tried it myself, and it worked!

As far as my taste is concerned, baked pasta always tastes better the day after it's cooked. I should cook my lasagna, store it in the fridge overnight after it has cooled down, then serve it the next day. I have only done this with leftovers...I just don't have enough willpower to wait until the next day.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashikoboy wrote:

As far as my taste is concerned, baked pasta always tastes better the day after it's cooked. I should cook my lasagna, store it in the fridge overnight after it has cooled down, then serve it the next day.

I totally agree! Lasagne is always much better the next day. But I always make a little in a separate pan for the same day I cook it. Meat and cheese Lasagne that is light on the noodles is the only dish containing noodles that I like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: