Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flow chart style recipe formatting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: flow chart style recipe formatting Reply with quote

I love the compact format of your recipes. How do you format them? I'm looking to redo all the odd recipes I've got stuffed in my recipe box in a consistent format and am looking for a good efficient way to do it.

(if there's already a thread about this please point me to it)

Jake
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time, all the recipe tables are formatted by hand in HTML using CSS.
aussie foodie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

I've been to visit your website off and on for the last few months. I really like the table formatting for your recipes. It is SO much easier following a table than following prose. The last few times I've been cooking with other people's recipes, I've either done something out of order, or wasted a lot of time working out what to do. I would like to convert those "wordy" recipes into your tables. I was wondering if you have a simple drawing tool to format these tables?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie foodie wrote:
I was wondering if you have a simple drawing tool to format these tables?

Nope, no tools at the moment. Doing them by hand.
chuck.the.nerd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Recipe - standard doc format / XML?? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if a standard for recipes and their layout exists similar to what is used on this site.

I imagine that a tool/graphing language similar to dot/neato @ http://www.graphviz.org/Gallery.php could act as the foundation.

I'd like to contribute a recipe but don't expect an admin to do all the table formatting to make it look pretty. If the geek tools behind the scenes existed this would reduce the friction in sharing information.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Flowchart recipe design Reply with quote

Michael, I have loved the recipe chart design you have devised.

As a business opportunity for you, I'd pay extra for cookbooks that use that format. Maybe you could license it to Food network or Epicurious or whoever?

I'd love to see a Cooking for Engineers version of books by gourmet, Mario Batali, etc.
IBRequiem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Excell Reply with quote

Easiest way I have found to construct these tables is in excell through use of the "merge cells" function. Excell also has the advantage of being a scalable and universal format for storing large volumes of cooking recipes.

I should also plug Open Office Calc. It can do the same thing, and might even be easier to convert to other formats.

example in excell:

IBRequiem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: excell Reply with quote

I have thought about more complex ways to do this, and frankly, there aren't any...Excel can output HTML formatting for your tables with a pretty high degree of sophistication, and with the in-built scripting options or use in combination with access, it ends up being a lot simpler than the comparable script or custom app. (making a functional GUI that allows visual table manipulation and streamlines this type of recipe format would take some serious time even with a CS degree...)

That said, if somebody does create that app, I'll be first in line to grab a copy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum