Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kneaded No-Knead Bread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Kneaded No-Knead Bread Reply with quote

many people are familiar with "No Knead Bread" - it's a concept similar to a "dump cake" - toss all the stuff in, mix, no muss, no fuss.

no knead bread however requires 16+ hours to develop (a) flavor and (b) gluten.
now and then I have found myself in a severe shortage of hours-to-no-knead-bake, so I set about modifying the basic recipe for days when time has evaporated.

looks like:

bottom line:
- in a cool kitchen with 3-4 hours initial rise time, pretty dang close taste-wise
- does not require / benefit from an extended second rise - 30 minutes is plenty
- crumb structure is different - which is likely only important if you're looking to have the sandwich capers fall through the big holes

- stand mixer with dough hook highly recommended - the finer crumb is a result of the more vigorous kneading.

- makes a nice crackly crust

goes like this:
505 grams bread flour
fat pinch of salt
1 tsp dry active yeast
Note on the yeast - 1 tsp works in a cool 70'F/21'C kitchen in 3-4 hours.
if you have more time or the kitchen is warmer - like in summer... - cut the yeast in half.
mix the dry ingredients, add water
345 grams / ml hot tap water, stir briefly to mix.
using a dough hook, 10 minutes kneading on slowest speed.
after 3-4 minutes the dough should come away cleanly from the sides. on my KA lift bowl I watch the bottom center of the bowl. most of the time the dough is still wet enough that a small 'stalagmite' sticks at the bottom center; add +/-1 tbsp of flour until the bottom is also kneading cleanly away from the bowl. does not take much - and give it 2-3 minutes to 'work'

remove dough hook; allow to rise (covered) in the bowl 3-4 hours until doubled
preheat oven and baking / pizza stone to 500'F/260'C - be sure the stone has time to reach full temp.
turn out onto parchment paper, form a round, used the stretch&wrap under technique to get a smooth top.
give it 30 minutes or so under the bowl.

The bowl:
the classic no-knead uses a covered bake + uncovered bake to achieve a nice crust. works, so I'm sticking to it.
my pizza stone is 13 inches / 33 cm diameter, the stainless bowl slightly smaller.

when I'm ready to bake, I do a last minute edge tuck-under of the dough ball, using the aluminum cookie sheet as my faux oven peel, slip the dough-on-parchment into the oven on the stone. bake at 500/260 for 15 minutes.

the parchment is optional, but works very well.

after fifteen minutes, remove bowl, reduce heat to 450'F / 230'C and bake for 11-13 minutes more uncovered.

CAUTION: when removing the bowl / uncovering the loaf you unleash a bucket of live steam.
do NOT hover directly over the bowl - use of full length oven mitts HIGHLY recommended.
(the crust will have set, so 'bumping' into the loaf with the bowl is not an issue)
before you can say "ow!" the 500/260 degree steam will have scalded you right good. don't ask how I know.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up. WIll share with friends.

Making bread tomorrow in the machine and will cut the yeast as you suggested in a another thread.

I think you said too much yeast eats up all the sugar and consequently deflates the loaf?

Is this why you recommend cutting the yeast in half in this recipe if room temp more than 70°?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeast eats sugar(s) - obviously temperature has a big influence, but too much food = faster growth/multiplication/CO2. it can over over proof more easily/faster.

it takes time for a good flavor to develop during fermentation. if it goes too fast altho it "looks good" the taste usually suffers - using less yeast will require more time for the dough to proof.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right: yeast eats sugar(s).

See http://www.cookingforengineers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24630#24630
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a winner to me!

it's a balancing act - using the right amount of yeast to start with vs. proofing time.

wheat has natural sugars - recipes with added sugars can go too fast, especially in warmer temps.

there are methods where the dough is refrigerated overnight to slow down the fermentation/yeast (for flavor development....)
martin21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum