Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goetta German Breakfast Recipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zx9rblue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Goetta German Breakfast Recipe Reply with quote

Here's a Cincinnati treat. I had forgotten about it until one of my relatives sent me the "Cincy" recipe published in a local paper.
The original recipe calls for pinhead oatmeal which can be very difficult to find in some areas of the country. McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal is an acceptable substitute.
I believe Goetta is similar to Pennsylvania dutch scrapple except scrapple is made with cornmeal.

Goetta

1 pound ground pork and 1 pound ground beef
8 cups water
2 1/2 cups pinhead oatmeal
1 large onion, sliced
1 to 4 bay leaves, optional
2 teaspoons salt
Pinch of pepper

In a large pot with a lid, boil the water, add salt, pepper and oatmeal. Cover and let cook for two hours, stirring often.

Add the meat, onion and bay leaves. Mix well. Cook for another hour, stirring often. Remove bay leaf.

Pour into bread pans (size doesn't matter).

Refrigerate overnight.

To serve: Slice the goetta and fry it until crispy or just until heated through. Goetta may be served with pancakes and eggs, on sandwiches or in place of meat at dinner.
unixTechie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Goetta Meatloaf Reply with quote

Oooo. I LOVE goetta!! Big smile - and it's not just for breakfast anymore:

Here's a recipe for Goetta Meatloaf that I put together a few years ago.

Note: Unless you live in or around Cincinnati, you probably won't find goetta anywhere, but it can be ordered from http://www.goetta.com/ It's well worth it! This is a real treat.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. Glier's Goetta
1 lb. Ground Bison or Lean ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs
1 small white onion, chopped
1 egg
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 lb ketchup

Mix Goetta, ground bison (or beef), cracker crumbs, onion, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and form into a loaf. Bake in a loaf pan at 350 F for 55 minutes to an hour. Spread ketchup over the meat loaf for the last 10 minutes of baking.
Irenes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! There are quite a few genuine German-Russian recipes on German-Russian Cooking Recipes and a nice culinary history lesson. It is fascinating how different regions affect a people's cuisine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum