Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken glass fell through oven vents inside oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NevadaCook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Broken glass fell through oven vents inside oven Reply with quote

I was baking squash in a glass pan filled with hot water and covered with foil the other day. After an hour I checked the squash and noticed that the hot water had evaporated. I took some room temperature water in a saucepan and poured it in the glass pan without thinking. The glass shattered all over the oven and some pieces went down into the vents on the oven floor. I don't know how to get them out.
I would like to use the self-cleaning feature on my 16 year old Whirlpool Super Capacity 465 gas stove but am afraid of what might happen to the glass.
Any thoughts on what I should do?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

self-clean temperatures run approximately 900'F
glass melting point is about 2000'F - depending on composition.

so glass in the vent is not likely to present a problem - unless there is a fan forcing air through those vents - that could carry tiny shards out into the oven.
NevadaCook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Broken glass fell through oven vents inside oven Reply with quote

[quote="Dilbert"]self-clean temperatures run approximately 900'F
glass melting point is about 2000'F - depending on composition.

so glass in the vent is not likely to present a problem - unless there is a fan forcing air through those vents - that could carry tiny shards out into the oven.[/quote]
Well, that is a relief to know. Thanks for your response.
trisixmn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Cleaning glass from vent Reply with quote

Oddly the exact same think happened to me today, except I used hot water, knowing cold could cause the glass to shatter. Guess it needs to be boiling.

I got all the glass cleaned up except for what fell in the vents. How do I clean out the glass from the vents? Is there a way to open it up?
Kal108

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Glass shattered in oven Reply with quote

Did anyone ever figure out how to get the
Glass out of the floor vent?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's unlikely you'll be able to take it apart. the glass is not doing any harm, but it if really bothers you, figure out a way to vacuum it out with a thin tube - or use a thin tube to suck / stick it on the end of the tube so you can fish it out through the vent slits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum