Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Corn Fritters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: popping corn Reply with quote

Michael,

Thanks. You're right. Using a lower temperature when frying the fritters (medium high instead or a higher temperature) cut down a LOT on the popping. I still felt safer using a splatter guard because of my previous experience. Thanks for the tip.

Elaine
ChemMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael (or anyone with the answer), About how many ears of corn would I need for this?

Also, I tend to use Dale's Sauce in place of soy sauce, so I dont have any on hand. I would appreshate any alternative dipping sauces anyone could suggest, please.
Thx.
Renatta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Corn Fritter Reply with quote

I just made the corn fritters from the recipe. I followed the direction to a "T". They were great!!! The final batter did not look exactly like the picture. Mine looked white with corn kernels. It came out ok anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These came out great! I added some jalapenos for some extra kick. Also, I found if you use canned corn, increasing the flour to 1/4 cup helps a lot.
johnnyt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: chili sauce Reply with quote

i have been told, white vinegar can also be used to cut the heat. add a little at time and mix it well. something about the chemicals of vinegar inhibits the "hot" spices of the chili sauce or something.
jagung

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: how it usually made in my family Reply with quote

Hi, i'm from indonesia. In many families basicly "dadar jagung" or corn fritters or Fried Mashed Corn batter recipe made by grated corn or mashed it using cobek or you could use food processor , add some chopped chili(thai pepper), after you mashed it you can add chopped shrimp, flour, chopped shallot, pea(optional, my mom add it to make the colour more interesting), salt and white pepper.
(that's why i found your recipe kinda unusual)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to eat mine with ketchup or ranch dressing.
Cathy (guest)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Yet another variation Reply with quote

Firstly, thanks for this variation of corn fritters Smile
It seems there are several variation of this recipe - the version I know (my family is also from Indonesia) also uses whole corn kernels but the batter is made from flour, salt/pepper/chilli, turmeric and garlic (i.e. without eggs).

Secondly: Your blog as a whole is great - thanks for presenting all those recipes and tips on your website!
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Yummy! Reply with quote

I was 1/2 cup shy on the corn, so I substituted onions, and it worked great. Nice and tasty.

Also, whipping egg whites by hand is frakkin' hard.
Amelia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: corn fritters dipping sauce Reply with quote

Hi,

I have eaten these corn fritters at E&O Trading Co. and loved them and I plan to try making them this weekend. Would you be so kind as to give me the recipe for the dipping sauce? I'm not very good at experimenting. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good recipe

I added a touch more flour along with a small handful of chopped spring onion and red pepper.

For perhaps a bit of a healthier version, I fried them in a non stick pan with a touch of olive oil - perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTIC!! My family enjoyed these fritters SO much. I didn't have any chili sauce on hand, so I improvised on her comment, and added a tsp of sugar to soy sauce and then about 1.5 tsp jalapeno juice. . . micro for a few and voila! A++

Thank you, I love this site!! Big smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: dipping sauce Reply with quote

I have not tried these yet, but if you are looking for a sweeter dipping sauce I would recommend adding rice wine vinegar to soy sauce (roughly 2/3 soy sauce and 1/3 vinegar). The rice wine vinegar adds sweetness, and cuts down on the saltiness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Auckland, the Asian cafes make these with a delicious creamy sauce - simply sour cream with thai sweet chili sauce mixed in.
Drew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Spicy Soy sauce Reply with quote

Here's a spicy dipping sauce recipe I use when I make Shao Mai. Porbably work for the fritters too!
SPICY DIPPING SAUCE:
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons black vinegar, or Chinkiang vinegar
1 teaspoon chile paste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: