Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Corn Fritters
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Recipe File: Corn Fritters Reply with quote

Article Digest:
A couple weeks ago, Tina and I had dinner at the E&O Trading Company in San Jose, CA. We found the restaurant to be a noisy, up-scale, Southeast Asian fusion restaurant that did not serve exceptional food. (Most of the food was high quality and very tasty, but you can get similar meals at a Thai or Malaysian restaurant for a third of the price.) One dish that did stand out was their Indonesian Corn Fritters which was served with a spicy soy sauce. I decided to make this dish at home for about a dollar.

I place a piece of shelf liner under my cutting board to keep it from moving. I prefer this to a wet towel.
[IMG]

Cut the kernels off the corn a few rows at a time. We're trying to preserve the kernals, so cut a little deep. Run the back of the knife or your board scraper against the cob to extract the remaining bits of corn.
[IMG]

We're looking for about 2-1/2 cup of corn. Canned sweet corn that's been drained will also work fine.

We'll also need (from top left, clockwise), two large egg yolks, two large egg whites, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 2 tablespoons all purpose flour.
[IMG]

Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with a whisk. You can also use your stand mixer or hand mixer with a whisk attachment. I placed the bowl on a piece of shelf liner to keep it from moving. A towel rolled and twisted into a donut also works well.
[IMG]

You're done beating the egg whites once you achieve stiff peaks. Just dab your whisk into the whites and lift. If the egg white form points that don't droop down, then you've got stiff peaks. (If they droop then it's called soft peaks.) Stop whisking now, or you'll dry out the egg whites.
[IMG]

Lightly beat the egg yolk and then mix into the corn.
[IMG]

Add flour, salt, pepper, and sugar and mix.
[IMG]

Fold in the egg whites into the corn mixture.
[IMG]

This is what the final mixture looks like.
[IMG]

After melting 2 tablespoons of butter in a nonstick skillet (which you'll notice I'm not using in this picture because I didn't have one handy), place tablepoon sized heaps into the hot butter. You can also use oil instead of butter, which I did for half of my fritters because Tina prefers to not have the butter taste with her corn. (I, of course, used light olive oil.)
[IMG]

Once they browned, about 2 to 3 minutes, I flipped them over and browned the other side.
[IMG]

A larger pan would have helped speed things up, but I still managed to make about sixteen fritters fairly quickly. I fashioned a quick sauce out of Sriracha chili sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. I also made the fritters with varying degrees of brownness and determined that dark or light brown did not have adverse affects on taste.
[IMG]

Corn Fritters
Batter:
2-1/2 cup sweet corn kernelsmixmixfold
2 large egg yolks
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 Tbs. all purpose flour
2 large egg whitesbeat (stiff peaks)

2 Tbs. butter or oilheatfry 2-3 min. per side
1 Tbs. mixture
Copyright 2004 Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something is wrong with the pictures on this page...
JM

Wow, I had exactly the same thought when I ate there: good fritters, and nothing else worth the cash. Smile Thanks for the recipe...I plan to make it soon. Love your site!
ferari

This is the first tme I visit your blog.
I'm really impressed in yours, your blog is so helpful and awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I think the correct spelling is "Sriracha" chili sauce (http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm). At least that's the one I usually use.
Michael Chu

re: Spelling error

Thanks, I've made the correction.

If u cd add chopped shallots, celery leaves and a dash of white pepper to the corn mixture, it wd be tastier. hv lived in Indonesia, and cooked this very often.
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the recipe is for a basic american country style corn fritter,minus the pepper, and deep fried but with a different sauce. Americans use maple syrup, or honey, or common sweet syrup and butter. Glad to see another indigenous american thing went overseas. Sorry to see that another indigenous amercian thing lost credit for being what it is. Interesting asian sauce.

is there any way to make these non fat?? you see, im belemic, but i still dont like eating fatty foods. any suggestions?

I do believe there were scallions as well

I love the indonesian corn fritters. They are my favorite dish when I go to E&Os. However, I have yet to figure out how to make the chili soy sauce.

I have played with a few ingredients (soy sauce, brown/white sugar, grated ginger, sambal olek, and sriracha) However, the sauce just isn't the same.

I find that my sauce is much saltier than the E&O sauce. Any suggestions?
By the way, I'm an engineer and I love the site.
Chefwinnona

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the pictures to show exactly what the steps look like.
I am not an engineer, but my husband is. He'll appreciate this blog, too.
wendy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: corn fritters failed yet again Reply with quote

I followed every inch of the directions to a T. Yet when I add the corn the mixture fails and it ends up a soupy mess. What am I doing wrong with these?

Wendy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: corn fritters failed yet again Reply with quote

wendy wrote:
I followed every inch of the directions to a T. Yet when I add the corn the mixture fails and it ends up a soupy mess. What am I doing wrong with these?

Are you adding the corn to the mixture or folding the egg white mixture into the corn? The egg whites should be folded in.
wendy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: corn fritters Reply with quote

at first i added the corn to the beaten egg whites. second batch i folded them in... no luck on either....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: