Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Thermoworks Father's Day 2014 Giveaway!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r.j.dawg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see an article on smoking meats indoors without setting off the smoke alarm. Big smile
lytri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Wood-fired pizza over Reply with quote

I rarely cook with wood unless it's over a campfire. I'd love to see how to cook a great pizza in a wood-fired brick oven.

Thanks!
txkos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend gave me your Creme Brulee recipe and link. It turned out great!

I would like to know your top 3 chefs you like to go to for recipes (based on accuracy, taste, ease etc..). Also, which chefs you recommend to avoid.

Thanks
squawky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another long time on and off reader: would read any new articles, but I find that I refer most often to your equipment reviews/articles (very in-depth, definitely what I'm looking for).
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Jim Cooley wrote:
Hey, I've got a question about IR thermometers. If I'm heating oil in a black cast iron pan, is the IR going to measure the temp of the oil, or the bottom of the pan?

In my experience, the IR thermometer measures the temperature of the surface of the oil on the pan.

Thanks, Michael.
tikitorch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Giveaway and more... Reply with quote

I'm new here...but I'm glad I stumbled upon this site. Thank you so much for the giveaway. So, my husband is a stay-at-home dad and VERY analytical, he'll surely appreciate--eager to show him your blog! The recipes you post look great and easy to follow. I can't wait to try the scallops with red pepper sauce.
prandolph

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Topic: Thermoworks Father's Day 2014 Giveaway! Reply with quote

I have been an on-again/off-again reader for many years, as well. Also, my current digital thermometer is a POS, so this is a great contest for me....

My current interests are bread baking, classic sauce preparations, and southern cuisine. To that end, I'd love to see good recipes for shrimp & grits, brunswick stew, or country captain.

Thanks!
talon8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Being from Canada, it's hard to get good quality consistent food typically found in the southern US. It would be great to have some recipes breaking down stuff like, fried chicken and bbq. I'll even be specific and say a good, proper bbq'd Brisket.

Love your articles. Thanks!
bigfaceworm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Been Missing This Reply with quote

You come back with a bang - 3 great items to give away.

As far as subjects for writing:

1) your thoughts on/review of the cookbook "Ratio" by Ruhlman
2) making flavoured liqueurs
3) making clear ice
nanderso19498

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love articles about BBQ and grilling. Also would love to read about charcuterie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy the recipes (particularly the faster to prepare dishes) but the kitchen notes section holds my attention the best.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Guest:

you might want to check the instructions for entering the draw at the bottom of the first post.

as a "Guest" you do not qualify for entry.
ENugent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Sous vide Reply with quote

In general, I am not a "foodie" at all, but I love my sous vide cooker for fixing non-time-sensitive quality meals. I vacuum-seal and freeze steak and chicken in marinade/sauce, and take a packet directly from the freezer to the sous-vide for dinner pretty frequently (I usually thicken up the marinade with a roux or cornstarch on the stove and serve it on the side - the kids don't like sauces, but my husband and I do). Occasionally chicken turns out mushy - why?
itsdeuce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you write about how to make great cream puffs? Mine tend to fall after I remove them from the oven. Also, even with a stabilizer, my whipped cream doesn't hold up as long as the whipped cream from the bakery.
AltamontSam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Would be great for wife - retired Special Ed Teacher Reply with quote

She spent many years working at non-profits (foregoing any retirement plans other than a meager 401K) to dedicate herself to these children often pushed aside.

She could use the TimeStick and/or ThermoPop in a variety of ways as she still works with this population as a volunteer. Timing of activities and counting responses within those activities greatly assists developing plans that work for the children instead of just coming up with plans at random!

Monitoring temps is also critical for preventing scalds. It would also assist in cooking activities as well as in working with daily living activity skill development!

Your site rules and is my go to for initial searches for my cooking activities (Ceramic Engineer now working in IT) - cooking gets my mind off work, a daily need so I do 99% of the cooking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: