Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tmone75

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Perfect every time Reply with quote

I use this site every Year for Christmas Eve as a point of reference. The Prime Rib turns out PERFECT every single time. 200 degrees sounds low, but dont question it. It will come out PERFECT medium Rare everyone! Love this site!
Hoffted

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Outstanding Reply with quote

This is my 3rd year using your method of cooking my standing Rib Roast for Christmas, and just felt compelled to say THANK YOU! Guests rave about the roast every year. Large family, usually doing 6-7 rib roast, and before I found your site, never wanted to risk that amount of $$ without knowing what I was doing.

My only suggestion is to add how to accommodate the heathens that actually want their meat cooked medium (god forbid, even medium-well). I have 2 ovens, so I let the roast get essentially done (~130), then slice off portions for those wanting it more done. I put the rest back at 150 (lowest my oven goes), and cook the others at ~375 for 15-20 minutes. Even with 2 ovens, this gets into a juggling act. Any other ideas?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the slice on a rack back into the oven at higher temps - 350-375 depending on what else is going on. at 1/2-3/4 inch thick it only takes perhaps 8-10 minutes - 'on a rack' is the key - allows heat from both sides....
thicker slices obviously longer.

the ends are typically a bit more done - so those sliced destined for mistreatment get sliced off the end(s) - but save the bark! for the real eaters,,,,
Stuart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Not So Good Reply with quote

I researched this concept for days and figured the science was good. My 3 lb roast was not as good as I had hoped. This method does not render any fat that I needed for Yorkshire Pudding or juice for au jus. :-(.

Once I realized there was not going to be any fat I bumped the oven to 300 and did get enough for Yorkhire Pudding but that ended up overcooking the outer inch.

Maybe try one more time using 225 F to render some fat next year? Wife was not happy with me as I had done great roasts using the Martha Stewart method for the last 21 years and my one attempt to improve on that was less then perfect.

I guess maybe if you don't need fat for pudding then it would a good recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Best" Prime Rib Roast:

5 Ribs serves 8 - 11
7 Ribs serves 12 - 15

Purchase the roast with Bones but, “Boned and Tied”. The butcher will cut the bones away, then tie them back on. The result is maximum flavor from the bones and easy slicing at serving time.

Cooking method (from Chef Ron Lock - “Roast Prime Rib of Beef”) SIMPLE!
Seer roast at 500° (Yes, 500°) for 5 min.s per pound. Then, turn the oven OFF and let the roast slow cook to the removal temperature. Throughout this process, do not open the oven door – ever! Get an oven thermometer to make SURE you are at 500°.

Example:
Say a roast is 5.75 lbs. x 5 minutes = 28.75 minutes. I will round up to 29 minutes and add 1 minute for the heat lost when opening the oven door to load the roast.

Pre-prep: Insert cloves of garlic in the meat (about four cloves per rib, arrayed over the top of the roast). Also, liberally rub on fresh cracked pepper. I never freeze the roast but leave in the fridge uncovered, on a rack/drip pan (just a foil tent) 2 – 3 days so the outside will dry enough for a great brown crustiness when cooked. Remove from the fridge 8 hrs. before oven time so the roast gets up to room temp. For the cooking method to work, it MUST be at room temp when going into the oven.

Just before oven time mix plenty of Butter at room temperature (consistency of peanut butter) with a generous amount of “Herbs de Provence” (spice list below). Completely coat the roast (except the bones) with this mixture, just like you were spreading peanut butter on a slice of bread. This will impart a beautiful tasty crust on the roast and will hold the herbs in place for them to stick to and flavor the crust.

I also strongly recommend a good Probe type thermometer inserted ALL THE WAY into the center of the roast. All-the-way is important, so there is minimal exposed probe to heat up and give the tip a false high reading. A Roast Pan Top is not used. Again, make sure you do NOT open the oven door. I duct tape the door shut and put a sign on it (due to nosey relatives, Ha!). You will experience some "crackeling" and smoke as the butter makes the crust. Not to worry.

(Picture1)
Roast is covered in Butter/Herbs de Provence mixture and in the roasting pan ready to go

Remove Roast immediately at 120° F for perfect medium rare. Let roast rest on a cutting board (Bone side down) for 8 -10 min.s before slicing. This will allow juices to reabsorb into the meat for maximum flavor.

(Picture 2)
Resting Roast. Notice the beautiful herb crustiness on the outside holding all those delicious juices in.

(Picture 3)
I slice right on the cutting board where roast (Bone side down) is resting. Simply slice down to the bone so you are past the pre-cut that the butcher made. Have a BIG platter nearby and just cut the tie strings as you go.

Come and get it!

Option is a packet of Au jus prepared in a gravy boat for the ‘juice lovers”.

“Bone” appetite!

Herbs de Provence:

This makes enough for a 7 Rib Roast, so portions can be adjusted for the size you have.
2 Tablespoons of each:
Dried Savory
Dried Rosemary
Dried Thyme
Dried Oregano
Dried Basil
Dried Marjoram
Dried Fennel Seed
Combine in an airtight container for multiple uses or portion as required for smaller roasts.

Creamy Horseradish Sauce:
¼ to ½ cup fresh Horseradish, drained
1 to 2 cups Sour Cream
1 to 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
½ to 1 teaspoon Salt
Mix, adding Horseradish as desired.
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Well over 10 years, now. Reply with quote

Michael, I first read your process a number of years ago. For the past 10 years, I believe, every roast of varying weight has turned out perfectly.

About 5 years ago, I roasted 3 8-pound roasts at the same time, in the same oven. I used the same process as for a single roast, and each was perfect. Two were roasted to 125 degrees, and I left one roast to cook to a temperature of 135, for the faint of heart.

I remember consulting your website before I roasted the three, but don't believe I reported the results.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Well over 10 years, now. Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Michael, I first read your process a number of years ago. For the past 10 years, I believe, every roast of varying weight has turned out perfectly.

Thanks Fred! I'm happy the recipe holds up!
jay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: proper cooking of prime rib roast Reply with quote

200 degrees is the correct temp, but verify with thermometer. most ovens are not accurate at that low of temperature. second, don't fry ends. not necessary. third, for medium rare, pull out at 123 degrees, and immediately cover with foil, then insulate with towels for about 40 minutes. the roasts temp will raise to 130 degrees, and actually start to slightly fall. now, place roast in oven with broiler on, set at 550 degrees. watch fat sear for about 6 minutes, or preferred crispness. the roast will not need to be rested, and will be ready to slice. i have done over a hundred roast, and i guarantee this is the best cooking method for a perfect medium rare rib roast.
Dallas Valerian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Roast in Road Salt Reply with quote

About 50 yrs ago, I made my first and only standing rib roast. This was back when I had a dinner service and dinng table for 12 and you could still by Prime beef.

I heard in a science class that rock salt would anneal in heat and seal in liquid. Or was it that salt would chemically cauterize a wound?

Anyway, the only rock salt I could find was what we put on the walk when it snowed. [I think nowadays that stuff is not made from sodium chloride anymore.] I covered the bottom of a roasting pan with foil, filled salt into it, then set the roast on it and continued covering with salt by folding the foil up and over.

A couple hours in a hot oven made sort of a beef geode, which I cracked and pulled off in big pieces. The beef was surprisingly not salty; it was full of juice and perfectly medium rare, best meat I ever made.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"salt encrusted" is a technique used on both beef and fish.
the salt is moistened with egg white or other liquid to make it stick together until it 'sets up' in the oven.

rock salt is still rock salt - it's the same salt as for for (NaCl) but not 'purified' to the same degree. other ice melters include calcium chloride and magnesium chloride, urea and sodium acetate - but these are not used for the salt encasing method.
jsmit86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Another excellent roast. Reply with quote

Today, we did a 7 rib, 17.8 pound roast from Ream's Elburn Market in Elburn, IL.
I splurged for Prime Grade this year, and it was an excellent piece of meat.

I put slivered garlic in about 2/3 rds of the roast last night, and coated the roast in olive oil, and seasoned it with a mixture of Kosher Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and Sazon seasoning. I wrapped it, and set it out on the deck (29 degrees) since it wouldn't fit back in the fridge on the sheet pan and rack.

We brought it inside this morning at 6:30, and put the roast in the 200 degree oven at about 11 O'clock. I pulled it at 125 degrees, and let it rest for about 45 minutes until it hit about 130 degrees. We then cranked the convection oven up to 550 degrees, and seared it for about 10 minutes. It came out great, and a perfect medium rare. Since I have a few family members that like it more done, I had a pan on the stove of beef broth and au jus mixed to make it more done for those who preferred it that way.

We also made the obligatory whipped cream horseradish sauce. Yum!

I found out that Ream's will do dry aged roasts with enough notice. I may spring for that next year.
Cyndi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: New York Roast Reply with quote

Will the time per pound be the same for a thinner New York cut roast?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'time to done' depends on the surface area that heat can pass through, and the depth the heat must penetrate. plus oven temp, starting temp, etc.

the size and shape is what determines those ratios - "prime rib" being more or less similar in shape the minutes per pound works, most of the time.

if the roast is not as "long" (I'm guessing this is what you mean by 'thinner')
the question is whether it heat from the ends gets to the middle before the heat from the sides gets to the middle.

generally smaller/lighter cut roast faster.
checking the internal temp with a thermometer is the best way to go.
jsmit86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Doing a 11 lb Prime Dry Aged this year! Reply with quote

I've been getting my Prime Ribs most of the time from Reams Market in Elburn IL. They have starting offering Dry Aged if ordered in advance, so I decided to spring for that this year.

It is cut and tied back on the bone, and it looked like a beauty!
I've learned a lot in this forum. I'll do the usual seasoning on Christmas Eve; Garlic slivers, and some salt, pepper and perhaps a small amount of one of my rubs.

Since we will be rather warm through Christmas, I'll do wrap it back up and keep in in the fridge. I'll pull it out around 6-7 AM, and let it start to warm a bit.

I'll put it on a full sheet pan in a rack. This is much better than the roasting pan I used to use. It make a difference on how even the roast cooks. (It makes a huge difference on Turkey, but that's another story)

I'll probably pull at about 121-122, and let it rest for 30-45 min before the final sear.

I expect this one will take about 3.5 to 4 hours or so. I have found that if the temp is rising too soon, I can put the oven down to 180 or so to slow it down. I am looking forward to another excellent roast this year.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a remote thermometer like:

and some Excel skills, you can graph it out "real time" and adjust the oven temp to hit your timing mark with great aplomb:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: