Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rib roast ? Reply with quote

brighteyes5423 wrote:
I want to prepare a standing rib roast for Christmas and have a recipe, slightly different from all I have read on here. It calls for 450F for 15 minutes, reducing to 325F until roast reaches 130Ffor rare or 145 for medium. (cooking time on a 6-8 lb roast). Any suggestions or comments?

Sorry this is a little late for Christmas this year, but I have used the method you posted for years, and just this year used the method we're reading above on Cooking for Engineers.

The method you posted is called "Oven Searing", and is a widely used method. These are the instructions you will get from your butcher, and this method is a standard in restaurants.

One difference you will notice when Oven Searing is the 'doneness' at the edge of your roast. Oven searing will create a 1/2" to 1" "edge" on your roast that is cooked further than the center of the roast, and more dry. It also has the potential to FILL your house with smoke and have the beef fat hanging in globules that will scent the air in your home for days.

It takes 15 minutes at high oven temperature to sear the outside edge of the roast. You have to then take it out of the oven to stop the cooking process while the oven cools down to roasting temperature. This is easily accomplished in a restaurant where you can have two ovens sitting at different temps, and an industrial ventilation system. It still hard cooks the edge of the roast, though.

The method posted here uses Pan Searing. In reality, searing simply creates a crust on the outside of the meat. To me, that is essential for this roast. Doing it in a pan before placing it in the oven allows you to sear the meat with direct heat, allowing a crust to form without applying enough heat to begin to cook the rest of the roast. Pan searing gives you more freedom in creating the crust the way you want it, and also gives you that wonderful center-to-edge doneness.

The roast that I pan-seared this year was much more tender and more pleasant to look at than those I have done in the past.

I won't go back to oven searing after having this roast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

I have to try it :O sounds delicious, thanks for sharing!
mf15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Check this method Reply with quote

Slightly different, with nice graphs.
Old Mike
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pat-LaFriedas-Ultimate-Prime-Rib-Guide/?&sort=ACTIVE&limit=40#DISCUSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Winner winner, rib roast dinner Reply with quote

Made this for Christmas last year and have been looking forward to doing it again ever since! Cooked perfectly medium rare, all the way through.
The Secret Ingredient

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Royal Chemical Society's Standards for Yorkshire Pudding Reply with quote

Read it and weep. http://www.rsc.org/aboutus/news/pressreleases/2008/perfectyorkshire.asp

Yorkshire pudding must be four inches tall, chemists rule

12 November 2008

A Yorkshire pudding isn't a Yorkshire pudding if it is less than four inches tall, says the Royal Society of Chemistry.
The Society has ruled on the acceptable dimensions of the Yorkshire pudding and is now issuing the definitive recipe.
The judgement followed an enquiry from an Englishman living in the Rockies in the USA who emailed the RSC seeking scientific advice on the chemistry of the dish following a string of kitchen flops.
Ian Lyness had contacted the RSC to get an explanation for why his attempts at cooking traditional Yorkshire puddings in Colorado had gone flat.
In other parts of the USA Mr Lyness had successfully produced puffy, towering puddings but in the high country he had low results.
The RSC is now checking with fellow scientists to see if cooking the famed dish in a mountain climate would lead to pressure problems.
The society, which has thousands of members working in the foods and drinks industries, including top chef Heston Blumenthal, used the query to ascertain the correct way to prepare a Yorkshire pudding, as it will soon launch a food theme for coming year.
Calls to, and from, various parts of the UK led the Royal Society of Chemistry to conclude that for a Yorkshire pudding to be judged successful it had to be no less than four inches (10 cms) in height.
Chemical scientist and author John Emsley, of Yorkshire, claimed that people not from that county rarely produced worthy Yorkshire puddings.
"It's in the blood and instinct of people born and raised there," said Dr Emsley.
"You can always tell from the look and taste if the cook has the right touch and it is almost pitiful to observe the stuff that comes from some southern ovens - flat, pale and soggy much of the time."
Former Cambridge academic Dr Emsley added: "I have seen many grim results from people who have tried to get their Yorkshires to rise. They frequently made gross errors. After all, cooking is chemistry in the kitchen and one has to have the correct formula, equipment and procedures. To translate the ingredients into chemical terms, these are carbohydrate + H2O + protein + NaCl + lipids."
"Some amateurs even place the batter in the fridge first. What kind of foolish act is that?"
The RSC invited Dr Emsley to define Yorkshire pudding, by delving into the lore of his home county to produce the definitive recipe.
"It is wonderful as a starter and main course, as we all know," he said. "However, we have lost sight of it as a superb dessert to follow the main meal and we should aspire to bring it back again as a genuine pudding after many years absence."
Next year the RSC will, as one of the lighter parts of its food campaigning, produce a leaflet on the way to make the ideal 10cm Yorkshire pudding and will push for its renaissance as a dessert.
Ian Lyness said from his home in Boulder: "I use batter mix that I pick up on my trips back to Blighty and my mum's old Pyrex dish. Perhaps the secret is to make them as she, as a true Yorkshirewoman, did. I try to follow in her steps. I do not go for the silly little ones on the plate with everything else, but a traditional, big long pudding which she always served as a separate first course with gravy before the roast beef, lamb or whatever. Coleman's English mustard is also essential accompaniment, I find. But I have been struggling badly here. On Sundays from my kitchen window here I can enjoy the sight of rearing snow-capped mountains but on my plate there are apologetic little hillocks."
This, below, is the official recipe and the Royal Society of Chemistry would be pleased to supply more details if necessary.
The Royal Society of Chemistry Yorkshire Pudding
Ingredients
Tablespoon and a half of plain flour
1 egg
Half milk, half water to make a thin batter
Half a teaspoon of salt.
Method
Put flour in a bowl, make a well in the middle, add the egg, stir until the two are combined then start gradually adding the milk and water combining as you go.
Add the liquid until the batter is a smooth and thin consistency.
Stir in half teaspoon of salt and leave to stand for 10 minutes
Put beef dripping into Yorkshire pudding tins or into one large tin but don't use too much fat.
Put into hot oven until the fat starts to smoke.
Give the batter a final stir and pour into the tin or tins.
Place in hot oven until well risen - should take 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve
Always serve as a separate course before the main meal and use the best gravy made from the juices of the roast joint. Yorkshire housewives served Yorkshire pudding before the meal so that they would eat less of the more expensive main course.
NB: When the batter is made it must not be placed in the fridge but be kept at room temperature
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Jove, I think they've got it down just about right.

A HOT oven, a HOT dish, and batter at room temp.
None of these fancy individual puddings, either.
tammyvible

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: christmas roast Reply with quote

Thank you so much you have saved all my effort, worry and money for Holidays for many years to come! I used 225' for 3.5hrs 11lb roast and all i can say is PERFECTION!!! And I would even go beyond that and say this recipe/method can be used for most cuts and roasts for any occasion. I cant thank you enough for your time and effort to do this for us common folk! Our hard earned money will not go to waste because of our ignorance!!! God Bless you and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Crusting fat cap Reply with quote

The best way to finish a whole roast is to remove from oven, and rest for 25 minutes. By then, the rested meat has stopped cooking. Then, return to oven at 550 degrees for about 6 minutes. The fat cap will sear, almost like bacon, without the roast to start cooking again. You then remove the roast and can slice immediately. This works far better than pan searing first. It also allows time for sides to be plated hot while slicing the roast.
mcgirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: 10 pound top sirloin Reply with quote

I'm cooking 2 #5 top sirloin roast in a convection oven for the first time. I am confused on how to estimate my cook time. OR should I just leave it at standard bake 200degree for 45min/# to cook? I have read convection is good for this type of roasting..? Any tips or advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's two five pound roasts? methinks.... if I understood correctly.....

two chunks will roast just as quick as one; the oven can provide all the heat energy needed.

I do my low&slow at 235'F for beef and use 30 minutes per pound as the first guesstimate - I adjust the temp to finish-on-time using a thermometer to monitor how fast it's coming up to temp. start check internal temps at 90 minutes, then every 30 minutes - write down the time&temp - you'll quickly see how 'fast' it's getting to the desired temp and you can adjust.

the time will be affected by the roast starting temp.... mine I drag out & salt about 3 hrs pre-oven - i.e they are not fridge temp when they go in the oven.

I pull mine, let them rest while the oven is coming up to max temp/blast furnace effect for a nice crust....
Dom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reverse sear Reply with quote

Has anyone ever done a reverse sear on a roast. If ur unfamiliar with reverse sear its cooked a low temp until desired temp reached. Let rest for 20 min then put in for high temp searing right before serving.

I do it with steaks on the grill all the time and the results r amazing!!!
jsmit86

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reverse Sear Reply with quote

I am a strong advocate of the reverse sear method.
I cook at 200F until I hit the target temp ~125 for me, and then I raise the over to 500F after resting the roast for about 30 minutes. Then sear until the fat cap is crispy.

This method gives an even medium rare throughout the roast, without adding overcooked areas near the top.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Sear Reply with quote

jsmit86 wrote:
I am a strong advocate of the reverse sear method.
I cook at 200F until I hit the target temp ~125 for me, and then I raise the over to 500F after resting the roast for about 30 minutes. Then sear until the fat cap is crispy.

This method gives an even medium rare throughout the roast, without adding overcooked areas near the top.

How long does it take usually for fat cap to crisp up?? Just trying to get an idea of how long the sear is going to be. Thank you.
jsmit86

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Crisping time Reply with quote

IIRC, it takes around 10 minutes or so.. watch it closely, and pull when the top is done to your liking.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Crisping time Reply with quote

jsmit86 wrote:
IIRC, it takes around 10 minutes or so.. watch it closely, and pull when the top is done to your liking.

Thank you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: