Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Mulled Cider (Spiced Apple Cider)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzychris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Apple Cider Reply with quote

Yes, here in Massachusetts there is definitely a difference between cider and apple juice. And I'm not sure if it should be considered cider if it's pasteurized. It's really hard to find it unpasteurized now. In Mass. (and I think in all the other New England states) it's only allowed to be sold directly from an orchard. Pasteurized cider will not ferment, and I think it needs to be just slightly fermented. Otherwise it's just too sweet.
trig

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Recipe Reply with quote

I have opposite tastes, I prefer my mulled cider to be sludgy Smile I use very lightly filtered cider, extra pulp OJ, and a mix of ground / whole spices. Here is the recipe.

1 gallon unfiltered cider
half gallon extra pulp OJ
half gallon strong brewed orange pekoe tea
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs all spice (or a small handful of whole allspice whichever)
1 whole nutmeg freshly ground
20-25 whole cloves (mine are old so you might want to start at 10ish)

The spices (especially cloves) will become stronger the longer you cook it up to a point. I prefer the taste the cider takes from boiling so I will let it boil for a bit, 15 min or so. Then turn it down and just let it simmer on the stove all day, makes a hearty drink and a wonderful smelling house.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try mixing cider and applejuice tastes like applepie
Luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Mulled cyder Reply with quote

@kenhutton: I am a chef patron of a small bristol (UK) pub and one thing we know about in Bristol is Cyder!
I am happy to share my mulled cyder recipe. 3 litres dry cider, sugar (to taste) zest of 2 clementines, 1/2 nutmeg, 12 cloves, tsp peppercorns, 20g of fresh ginger, 6 cardomon pods, small sprig of fresh thyme, 1 scotch bonnet, 1 star anise

no need to toast the spices, just gently warm them together in a pan (less than a simmer) for 1-2 hours. The scotch bonnet should be added in the last hour and will provide a beautiful floral aroma and gentle warmth but be very carful not to break the skin or the brew will take on an INTENSE heat.

FYI: In the UK the difference between cider scrumnpy is the apples used. scrumpy is made with eating apples and consequently has a very short shelf life (not brewed with beer yeast as someone suggested) where as cider brewed of cider apples which are unfit for eating or cooking due to a very high tanin content. these tanins preserve the brew for long periods
Darryllswife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: The absolute best Reply with quote Delete this post

My late husband used this recipe for years. I’m so thankful that the recipe is still online because I use it every year and my copy has gotten a bit weathered.
Absolutely love it. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: