Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biscotti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: New to site Reply with quote

Just a short intro. In my wanderings looking for recipes I discovered this site and was so delighted! While I'm not an engineer I guess I do have an analytical mind and wonder about things and how they work. My job as a floral designer does give me the opportunity to build eventhough it's just floral arrangements I get to create. Cooking has always been a love of mine. I'm so happy to have discovered this site and hope to learn a lot from the contributors... Smile

Biscotti
jon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: cups v.grams Reply with quote

we brits generally weigh ingredients rather than use a volume measure.surely abetter system?
Jörg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For solid ingredients, yes, it's a better system so long as your scale is decent.

But at least in America, few people actually have a decent scale (gram-accurate or better) in their kitchen. In fact, in Germany, they use mass as well, but I still didn't meet anyone who had a scale. I assume that's because pretty much everyone I met was a student.
Geert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Imperail measures on an engineer site Reply with quote

I was so surprised to have these exotic and difficult to clibrate measures as cups on a website for engineers.

To me it seems just not right to measure flour by the cup: it compresses easily with a factor 20 %. Where is the analytical part? Where is the replicability?
Jörg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make it sound like he's only providing measurements as cups. If you look in the condensed recipe block he provides (the table at the bottom of each recipe page), you'll see that he provides the mass in grams as well. If you have a scale, then you can use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum