Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What julienne peeler do you recommend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janet45

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: What julienne peeler do you recommend? Reply with quote

Hi,

I try to eat healthy food: different salads, vegetable dishes, etc. I am very interested in some simple recipes and I have decided to buy a peeler.

On Amazon, I found two variants:
http://www.amazon.com/{spam link removed}/
http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Protector-Stainless/dp/B0000CEWJD/

As for a girl, I have too big hands, lol, and I'm a little worried that peeler will slide and I can get hurt. This has happened many times with my kitchen knife. I really like this peeler because of rubberised handle:
http://www.amazon.com/{spam link removed}/

The only thing that confuses me - a small number of reviews.

Anybody tried to use one of them? Or please post the one you use that works great.

Janet
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend either - specifically because of the handle.

look for a yoke style handle that has a bulge in the middle - that you can hold onto.

the straight sided ones in the links will slide out of your hand, rubberized or not.

==========================
edited to add:
janet (plus a bunch of other names) is spamming for the Deiss peeler / line - on at least five cooking web sites.

the Amazon item is sold by Deiss, fulfilled by Amazon.

according to Amazon, Deiss is "Just Launched (No feedback yet.)"
if you Google Deiss Kitchenware, there are no pertinent results other than advertising and spam.

and despite her statements that she's opted for a Deiss and is awaiting delivery, from the date/time stamps on posted "messages" she continues to "solicit" advice from users on other sites.

so, buyer beware.

Last edited by Dilbert on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
janet45

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevertheless, I decided to try peeler from Deiss. I will describe my impressions and peeler's pros and cons after Amazon deliver it.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about Kyocera's vegetable peeler which comes in a variety of colors (making them easy to find in the drawer).
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a note on the ceramic bladed peelers ....

the ceramic blade it mounted in plastic which is pinned between the "arms" of the yoke style.

I've had three - the plastic blade holder snapped at one end / next to the pin on all three. I now have a one piece stainless bladed one (yoke style) that has lasted 2-3 years without a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum