Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Freezing Meats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lola

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Freeze seared meat? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm hoping you can help me. Is it safe to sear a roast, pork or beef, and freeze it? If it's safe, does the meat need to cool completely before I stick it in the freezer? We love to go camping and my husband wants to go in the colder months. I seriously doubt he's going to enjoy grilling when it's nasty out, so I'm thinking I'll be packing the crockpot. Thanks.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe - yes.

cool completely - cool yes, the 'completely' bit is not so important

...camping crockpot - my experiences with "camping" do not include 110v convenience outlets, so you'll have to invent.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an old technique for that but I forget its name. Basically, you fill a box with straw, add hot rocks and your dutch oven. Cover with more straw. Cover the whole box and let sit for 6-8 hours. Residual heat does the rest.
Lola

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you. I was worried about food poisoning. We camp at Georgia state parks. The sites have electricity and water hookups. And toilets and shower houses. Unless you like to rough it. They have those sites too. Someday I'll try the Dutch oven and coals, but I'll enjoy the crockpot first. I like to have everything frozen before we go so I don't have to worry about food spoiling. Thanks again
nightresp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: How long you can keep frozen meat Reply with quote Delete this post

I have eaten a turkey that was stored in my deep freezer at a temperature appx. much be low 0° with no ill effects and had no freezer burn. Remember that article years ago when some people are meat from a frozen mammoth. The answer I believe in keeping meat longer than usual, is to turn your deep freezer as far done as it can go to get below 0° and refrain from opening rarely unless you are planning a meal and anticipate any other foods in the freezer that you will be eating within 3 months after you have placed it in your refrigerator's freezer. When in doubt though throw item out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: