Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Joy of Fermentation: Yoghurt and dosa batter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: The Joy of Fermentation: Yoghurt and dosa batter Reply with quote

Jeez, it's really easy to make your own yoghurt!

I took a quart of milk, a splash of heavy whipping cream and a TBS of some yoghurt I like and stuck it in the oven at about 96° for a a couple days. Stirred it down a few times, and the result was almost the same as store bought, and a helluva lot cheaper.

Consistency is rather odd, though: the cream and curds float.
A quick stir fixes that, but I'm wondering what would happen if I added a tiny bit of powdered gelatine? Anyone have some experience with this?

Since I was experimenting w/ fermentation, I later made a batch of dosa batter. It's a southern Indian thing, wouldn't expect anyone here to know about it.

But aside from the gelatine for the yoghurt, I need a cheap hack to keep a 1 quart plastic jar at about 90-100° F. I'm thinking one of those coffee mug warmers, but maybe the brains here might have a better idea?

The 1 quart plastic container doesn't fit in my coffee maker, or I would have tried that.

Thanks,

Jim
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you don't have a water bath / sous vide setup Jim?

I've found that my large rice cooker when I leave the lid off and have it set to "keep warm" (only two settings - toggle down for cook and toggle up for not cook which ends up being "keep warm") is enough power to hold the water at 84-85F. That might be warm enough to help your fermentation, but if not, partially covering the bowl (plastic wrap?) should raise the temperature a little bit. Water will need to be replenished at regular intervals due to evaporation though (remember to warm up the water before pouring it in). You might want to experiment with what cookers you have to see what temperatures they are able to "keep warm" stuff when the lid is off. (When the lid is on, the water temperature passes food safe temps which would defeat your purpose.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, good idea. Bet I can find one at a thrift store for $5.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what you end up doing and if it works - I'm always interested in out-of-the-box methods of cooking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum