Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP ..ceramic cooktop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxwar

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: HELP ..ceramic cooktop Reply with quote

I moved into new condo with Ceran (Schott) cooktop. Got involved with a project while boiling water in a stainless pot. Of course pot boiled dry and result is a large, ugly black stain on the cooktop.

I have tried most of the commercial creams, Bar Keepers Friend, and soap on a plastic scrubber. Nothing works. Suggestions please (aside from just purchasing a new top and saying goodbye to $500).
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuts.

grass is pretty hard to truly 'stain' - as in penetrate the pores of the material, but it is not impossible.

first: can you feel any surface deposit / ridges / bumps at all?

if this is something 'boiled over and baked on' it may not be a penetrating mark.

I would do a good wipe down, then try a brand new single edge razor blade at a shallow angle to see if anything will scrape off.

if anything comes up, wipe _really_ clean after each 'pass' to minimize the risk of scratching.

if you do have a penetrating stain, jeweler's rouge is "sharp" enough to polish glass (large grit to finer grit) but success will depend on how deep the stain has penetrated.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to do is use a single edge razor blade and scrape off what you can with the side of the blade. Don't use a corner of the blade and cut into the glass--that can scratch it. Then use Weiman Cook Top Cleaner which is readily available to get off the rest of the residue/stain. FOLLOW THEIR DIRECTIONS. Basically, you put it on to completely cover the stain and let it dry, then rub. I have used that on ceran cook tops and it has always worked fine. If your stain is really horrendous, you might have to do it more than once, but you will get the top completely clean.
Maxwar

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated in the original posting, the pot boiled dry. There was no boil-over hence nothing to scrape off. I did try the razor blade route but, as there was nothing but a stain to remove, the stain remained. The cooktop is still completely smooth with just this large, ugly stain. It appears that I am not the only one to fall afoul of this situation. For anyone interested in reading a multitude of similar happenings:

http://ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/422.html

It was after reading this that I somehow stumbled upon this site to which I now turn to for help.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you will try the Weiman's. It works.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown stain is probably ultra-baked on food. I doubt the cooktop itself is stained, but I could be wrong. (it's glass!)

What I do is spray some Easy-Off on the gunk, cover with some Saran Wrap and let sit for 20 minutes, then try scrubbing gently with a green 3M ScotchBrite sponge. Rinse very, very well and try the Weimanns.

When my trial bottle of Weimanns ran out, I bought some Kit brand "Scratch-Out" in the automotive section of WalMarrt for about a buck. Seems to work just as well and it's helluva lot cheaper.

FWIW, I HATE the damn cooktop.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwar wrote:
I did try the razor blade route but, as there was nothing but a stain to remove, the stain remained. The cooktop is still completely smooth with just this large, ugly stain.

My girlfriend has a ceramic cooktop in her house. Just to jump on the band wagon, I despise the thing. Getting in clean took a lot of work with one of the purpose-made ceramic cleaners. Since getting it really clean, maintenance hasn't been too much work if we keep up with it three or four times a week.

If you can't get the stain off, you can probably replace only the glass top for 100USD or a bit more. I think I found a top for my girlfriend's JennAir for 105USD (I dropped a cast iron skillet on the corner and cracked it). Put the complete brand name and model name and number into Google.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I still had one of those awful cooktops, I'd consider this $4.00 gadget: a scraper with a soft brass blade:

http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/13828

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FW4LT4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum