Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Thermoworks Thermapen 2013 Giveaway!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauliwang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Thermapen Reply with quote

I'd get it for myself to replace my trusty yet slow analog thermometer.
xmacross

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a Thermapen as a gift, and use it myself or my wife would use it. Thanks!
christyr1q

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Perhaps a gift for my husband Reply with quote

If we won we'd keep it at our house. We've broken multiple probes before, so need a good sturdy one.
hutubug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

I would buy this and definitely at the price point of $19 each. I think the idea is good but it would be more convincing if the product has more testimonials or reviews. Also, perhaps if it mentions more about its non-toxic properties and durability, I would be more inclined to purchase it.
hutubug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Probing the bath water with a thermopen is a ingenious idea! Can this double as a fever indicator?
rkrentzwee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy one for myself and possibly one for my boyfriend as well. I know that my parents and best friend already have them.
Kartusch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Gift for my wife Reply with quote

I would give one to my wife, she keeps begging me for one but already has a gift this year.
talon8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would definitely be a gift to my wife (*cough* myself). We've been resisting biting the bullet to get "the thermometer" when cheaper ones are available. We know we'd save money/grief in the long run, but alas, cash on hand & finances aren't endless.
hpankow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Thermapen Reply with quote

I have a kitchen and a new baby, so the Thermapen would get used all over the house!
dwulf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Thermopen Reply with quote

I would love one to use with my new tri-tip grill that I am building.
SpaceLumps13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would absolutely buy a Thermapen (or two) as gifts! One for myself (loins, and tri-tips, and briskets, oh my!) and one for my Uncle in Brooklyn.
Juliefrance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Thermapen Reply with quote

I would definitely buy a Thermapen. One for me, for grilling especially (although I love the idea of using it for candy making too!), one for my sister in Pittsburgh, and a couple more for my best friends at work. Cool tool!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all your comments and entering the contest. All entries above this comment will be counted as submissions. Only the first entry for people who commented multiple times will be counted. I'll post the winner shortly.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: And the winner is... Reply with quote

This year's winner of the Thermapen is: Greengem

I pulled all 112 comments, removed mine, duplicates, and those where I did not have email addresses. The final tally was 109 entrants. I used random.org to generate a random number and it gave me 87 which equated to Greengem (who was the 87th qualifying post [and the 89th comment overall]).

Just for fun, I did a little analysis of the comments (these might not be completely accurately as I went through them pretty fast).

Of the 109 entrants...
    83 said they would get a Thermapen for themselves

17 said they would get it for their spouse or significant other (with several mentioning that they would use it as well or benefit directly from it)

14 said they would give it as a gift to someone from the previous generation (6 to fathers, 3 to mothers, 2 each to father-in-laws and mother-in-laws, and one to the parents without specifying which one)

7 said they would give one to a friend or buddy
5 said they would give it to someone from the subsequent generation (2 daughters, 1 son, 1 son-in-law, and 1 nephew)
4 would be given to the same generation (2 siblings, 1 brother-in-law, and 1 sister-in-law)
2 given to family members without specifying who
and 1 gifted to a boss

Additionally, 7 specifically mentioned that they would be gifting the Thermapen to themselves and gifting the food (with several more implying that's what they were going to do).

Merry Christmas everyone and if you aren't Greengem, consider buying a Thermapen. Starting about a year or so ago, Thermoworks is providing a percentage of each sale through any of the links on this page and elsewhere on this site back to Cooking For Engineers. 100% of the proceeds goes directly towards paying for server and bandwidth costs.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one person said they didn't want a Thermapen at all. There was a part of me that wanted their random number to come up just for the contradictory outcome. The random number generator did not agree with my inclination however, which is why I use a random number generator. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: