Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon truffles: great...or not so?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Oregon truffles: great...or not so? Reply with quote

I've been infected with raging truffle appetite, having recently come up with "coddled eggs infused with white truffle flavor" (see recipes forum here) using white truffle oil. I want to obtain an Oregon fresh white truffle to compare with the incomparable Italian white truffles I'm familiar with. The season (late October through early December) is just beginning, and I am determined to acquire one. Internet searching has not produced one site that actually sells them! My bizzy son, who lives in Portland and has a bean-to-bar chocolate manufactory (Woodblock Chocolate), tells me he has tried them, and they are very disappointing; they lack any of the pungeant flavor and aroma we associate with Italian white truffles. BUT there is a chef, Jack Czarnecki, with a restaurant in McMinnville, OR, who appears to be a local truffle maven, and he avows in an article that Oregon truffles measure up brilliantly to the traditional ones. I'd love to see a discussion here of Oregon truffles, how they taste and suggestions as to how to acquire one for comparison before spending a fortune on a disappointment. I know they could be shipped in a plastic container of rice and do just fine. I might ultimately try to call the chef, but I'd love to hear from knowledgable enthusiasts here first. Are Oregon white truffles really the miracle I'm looking for? Or just well-intentioned hype?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Truffles Reply with quote

Temptress Truffles has fresh in Portland. Email her or go to farmers market and find her.
pbone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guest - I located the truffle temptress online, and she looks and sounds adorable! She trained that enormous schnauzer to sniff out truffles! I emailed her and left a phone message. Hope I have good luck here. Still interested in any discussion of Oregon truffles, especially the white ones.
pbone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Oregon white truffles great...or not so? Reply with quote

To guest, and all and sundry - I tried to contact your Oregon white truffle gal, by email and online as well - alas, no response. Does anyone else have a source they'd recommend so I could TRY an Oregon white truffle? I live on the East Coast, so it's not feasible for me to visit the wonderful markets of Portland. I know truffles are not in season now, but I'm gearing up...any source for fresh white truffles in Oregon would be greatly appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum