Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kitchenaid... help?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: kitchenaid... help?! Reply with quote

i have fallen in love with the kitchenaid, for me since the age of about 15 it has been the ultimate kitchen accessory (mostly cos i only ever saw it on kitchen programmes on the telly)
this is my fave

isnt it just so pretty!! i know i sound gushy but i really do love them...
ive also finally found a semi decent price here: http://www.twenga.com/ (well decent isnt the word, less shocking than the usual price would be more accurate!) and i want to know if it really is worth it, when i let my head have a moment to itself without my heart chiming in all the time i do wonder if it does anything other than stir, which i can very capable of... see now it is within my reach im not that fussed!! no i am, can anyone help me straighten otu my mind...??
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: kitchenaid... help?! Reply with quote

lillian wrote:
i have fallen in love with the kitchenaid, for me since the age of about 15 it has been the ultimate kitchen accessory (mostly cos i only ever saw it on kitchen programmes on the telly)
this is my fave

isnt it just so pretty!! i know i sound gushy but i really do love them...
ive also finally found a semi decent price here: http://www.twenga.com/ (well decent isnt the word, less shocking than the usual price would be more accurate!) and i want to know if it really is worth it, when i let my head have a moment to itself without my heart chiming in all the time i do wonder if it does anything other than stir, which i can very capable of... see now it is within my reach im not that fussed!! no i am, can anyone help me straighten otu my mind...??

I this a spam link for twenga? I'm leaving the thread up for a couple days to see if this goes anywhere or is just a link placement (in which case it gets deleted...)
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a plethora a twinga spam / links / posts on a number of cooking sites all with heart string bleeding plaintive wails for help.

given the sale prices in <whole raft of retail locations> the 'gosh I found a good price here' thing does not ring particularly true or sincere.
lillian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i don't work for twenga, i just saw it on a search that i did for price comparison. just wanted some advice on the kitchenaid...
are they not good prices then? theyre certainly the best ive seen, if you have a reccommendation where i can find them cheaper id be super grateful!!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you located?

in Europe I'm sure the prices are higher.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lillian wrote:
no, i don't work for twenga, i just saw it on a search that i did for price comparison. just wanted some advice on the kitchenaid...
are they not good prices then? theyre certainly the best ive seen, if you have a reccommendation where i can find them cheaper id be super grateful!!

I'm still continuing to indulge this thread for a little longer...

No, the prices on Twenga aren't necessarily bad, it's just the damn thing doesn't know what to search for. For example, if you look for a KitchenAid 5qt Artisan, the result it comes up with is the Tangerine colored one for $330+ (with cheapest price being on eBay). It doesn't even label the specific model/color combination, it says for all KitchenAid Artisan 5KSM150PS the price is $330 when clearly more conventional colors (like a white one) can be ordered from Amazon.com for $245.

One reason we're suspicious at this posting is that you started talking about falling in love with KitchenAid and then post a generic link to the front page of Twenga. If you were asking for advice on pricing, why wouldn't you have posted a link to the page showing the specific product or product family you're asking about? Either you are spamming with a link from Twenga or you expected people to browse through Twenga's website to find KitchenAid mixers and then tell you once they found it if the price was any good. Seems pretty inconsiderate for someone asking for advice... right?
lillian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apologies for arousing suspicion, i didnt realise i had posted that link, i shouldve reread my thread first, mustve had the two windows open at the same time.
yes dilbert i'm in europe, france so perhaps prices will be higher due to exchange rates? do you think? thats why i was hoping to have a look on american sites and just pay the extra to get it shipped. i figured that would work out cheaper...
and michael that is by far the best price i have seen, youre right i havent had the best info up til now. thank you for pointing amazon out to me, i dont use french amazon as i dont find it that helpful so i hadnt looked. maybe its just all the french that annoys me!
kind of you to show me that, thanks
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those mixers are not light, so shipping could be pricey - also you may get graced with import duties.... KA makes many models, without knowing which you are interested in it's tricky offering price comparisons.

the Artisan series runs around 300usd; the Designer series 350usd and the lift bowl style around 400usd at 'retail' shops - I'm too clumsy to opt for the glass bowl . . . many stores, especially at this time of year plus a slow economy are putting out very nice coupons - like 20% off.

my personal preference is the style with the lift up bowl vs. the tilt head.

I use mine for whipping egg whites (souffle) also whipped cream and kneading bread doughs of all sorts and types. the KA stand types are a bit overboard for mixing up a cake, for example.

if you have space where you can keep it out on the counter top you may get more use out it - mine is stored in a cabinet so it's not as convenient - small jobs I just do by hand or with a hand held mixer.
CookNewb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the models pictured above new models? The one I bought at Costco for the restaurant uses a metal bowl kept between two arms. How does the glass bowl stay in place?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CookNewb wrote:
Are the models pictured above new models? The one I bought at Costco for the restaurant uses a metal bowl kept between two arms. How does the glass bowl stay in place?

I believe the ones in the picture are tilt-head models. The bowls lock in the base and the motor assembly tilt down into position.
LostArrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has a kitchen-aide K45ss that was purchased in 1963 & handed down by her mother. It still works perfectly!
kitchen boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostArrow wrote:
My wife has a kitchen-aide K45ss that was purchased in 1963 & handed down by her mother. It still works perfectly!

Kitchenaid is a well known brand for kitchen appliance.No wonder their product is very reliable and long lasting age. Wink
yocona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchen boy wrote:
LostArrow wrote:

Kitchenaid is a well known brand for kitchen appliance.No wonder their product is very reliable and long lasting age. Wink

Unfortunately, they don't make 'em like they used to when they were made by Hobart. I bought a used Kitchenaid over 20 years ago, and wouldn't trade it for a brand new one.
kitchen boy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yocona wrote:
kitchen boy wrote:
LostArrow wrote:

Unfortunately, they don't make 'em like they used to when they were made by Hobart. I bought a used Kitchenaid over 20 years ago, and wouldn't trade it for a brand new one.

I think this is because business strategy factor. Sometimes, when we sell a long lasting product, we got the growth of product sales not penetrate as well as short term age product. Just my opinion. Hmmm Cool
yocona

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchen boy wrote:
yocona wrote:
kitchen boy wrote:
LostArrow wrote:

I think this is because business strategy factor. Sometimes, when we sell a long lasting product, we got the growth of product sales not penetrate as well as short term age product. Just my opinion. Hmmm Cool

I think your theory is spot on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum