Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuisinart - 7-cup or 11-cup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Cuisinart - 7-cup or 11-cup Reply with quote

I'm looking into buying my first food processor (!) and I'm trying to decide what size to buy. I originally planned to buy a 7-cup to save money and because I'm not cooking for a large group, but I saw that Tuesday Morning will be selling an 11-cup model for the same price I was going to pay for the smaller version. Should I go bigger just for the sake of going big or should I stay with the 7-cup? My primary uses will be for regular cooking and I would like to use it for bread and pastry dough - but not double batches. . .

Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erica,

I find the 11-cup food processor more useful than the 7-cup. It turns out that when using a food processor, you need more space than you think. For example, you wouldn't want to chop up more than 2 cups worth of veggies in a 5-cup processor because the food needs room to move around in order to be processed evenly.

I found the 11-cup to be the most useful size when preparing such things as a casserole. If I'm working with a small amount of veggies, then it's faster just to use a knife (and easier to clean up).

For breads and pastry dough, the 11-cup seems to be just the rights size for me. I haven't tried dough in a 7-cup, though.

Michael
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defintely get the 11 cup processor. You can't chop more than half a container full anyway. For fine chopping very small amounts, use one of the Black and Decker 1 or 1 1/2 cup processors. They are about $14-15, small, easy to clean and store. They are great if you want to puree or finely chop a small amount or material as a sauce additive or such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum