Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jersey Corn Chowder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Buck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Jersey Corn Chowder Reply with quote

Ran across this site somehow when looking for something else, and thought it had to be good as I am an Engineer and love to cook. So here's my first recipe for all you Engineers:

My version of a South Jersey Summertime Favorite

Ingrediants:

1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced bell peppers
3 stalks celery, diced
1 cup of chopped smoked ham (or 1 1 lb.pack smoked bacon, see note at bottom)
1 1/2 cups diced red new potatoes
1 1/2 cup fresh sweet corn sliced from the cob (if you can get Jersey sweetcorn here, it really is the best!!)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olice oil
4 tablespoon of flour
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 pint cream
1 teaspoon ground cummin
1 teaspoon ground sage
A couple shots of Worcestrshire Sauce
2 cups fresh grated cheddar cheese
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Cooking: In a 10 quart stock pot put the butter and olive oil in the pot and heat at a low seting until butter is melted. The olive oil will keep butter from burning. Put the diced onions,peppers and celery in pot and saute' until onions become translucnet(about five minutes). When onions are done, add flour and stir until oil and butter is absorbed. Cook this for about 3 minutes more on low fire, then add the chicken stock and stir until combined. Now add the ham,corn,spices and potaoes and simmer for about 1/2 hour or until potatoes are tender. Add the cream at the last minute and stir over heat until entire mix is hot. Add a good amount of fresh ground black pepper (be liberal here with the pepper) and salt to taste. Right after plating up the chowder, sprinkle the grated cheddar on top and then serve. For a spicy variation, add about 10 shots of Crystal Louisana hot sauce.

If you want to use smoked bacon instead of the ham, cook off the bacon in the stock pot, strain the drippings into a heat proof continer, then add 2 tablespoons back into the pot along with the butter and proceed with the rest of the recipe,adding the bacon instead of the ham.

Please note all amounts are approximate as I never measure anything when I cook, adjust ingrediants to suit your taste. Enjoy!!
JohnLocke809

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

Capt Buck wrote:
So here's my first recipe for all you Engineers:.

I think that that's a rather good meathod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum