Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel Cookware S
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
channynn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: favorite piece of cookware Reply with quote

My cast iron Dutch oven is my favorite cookware to use. It has been the gateway for me to learn many new dishes!
zach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: My 12 Cast iron skillet Reply with quote

I just love that I can do almost anything in it. Plus anything that helps me make a great steak jumps up that list.
ellem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Cast Iron Skillet Reply with quote

Definitely my cast iron skillet!
lytri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Slow cooker! Reply with quote

Does the slow cooker count as a pot and/or pan? If so, that's mine! I love putting ingredients in, walking away, and coming back to a meal without much more than a second thought.

If it doesn't count, then I gotta go with the stock pot. Home made vegetable stock makes everything I cook taste so much better.
Wen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Favorite Pan Reply with quote

My favorite pan is a simple oven friendly medium stainless steel skillet with a sturdy handle. Though I love collecting variety of tools, I try to minimize my collection by frequency of use and quality.

Since I generally cook for two, I find that a single skillet may lead to infinite possibilities
cmcconomy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Favorite cookware Reply with quote

Many years back, I bought a fairly expensive set - Lagostina Academy 5-ply - which have been fantastic pots. they heat evenly and look gorgeous.
However, I have two complaints:

1. being 5-ply (SS/alum/copper/alum/SS) construction throughout, they efficiently pull heat up the sides, which means I often find liquids like sauces cooking dry against the sides as they reduce.
2. they end in a straight edge instead of a lip. This is a big problem when you want to pour anything out of the pots, liquids always run down the side of the pot. I never knew how important lips were on the edges of pots + containers until I ended up without them!

Despite their expensive price tag I can't say I consider any of them my favourite! My favourite would likely be a 3-way tie:
1. Carbon Steel crepe pan, for crepes of course
2. Cast-Iron pan, as a workhorse. It never even sees the inside of a drawer, it's constantly in use.
3. Thin northern-style cast-iron wok, stir fries and various chinese dishes. It was a real eye-opener to discover how delicate cast iron can be!

All three helped teach me how important proper pre-heating is to the non-stick properties of the metal.

An addendum, I have two favourite tools to work with these. In the case of the pans, I have a spatula that I will be devastated if I ever break, it's an older style of Calphalon spatula which is both strong and flexible, and very thin so it fits under foods as it flexes unlike most spatulas I run across. I keep trying to find a place to buy backups but calphalon has changed models and doesn't have any of the old ones left.
The other tool, for the wok, would be a cheap pig-iron rounded spatula. It's a rough little tool but somehow I love it
PortlandRocks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: My favorite piece of cookware ... Reply with quote

For me, the LeCreuset is about the best stuff around - it browns things well, is oven and stove top friendly & it keeps things warm after cooking if they have to stand. It's just about indestructable too and if you do have any problems, LeCreuset will replace it as it is guaranteed for life. Being married to a fireman who believes that everything you put on the stove top needs to cook on a rocket-hot, bright cherry red burner (I am working with him on this ... ), this cookware can take it. It also works with all kinds of cooktops. It heats evenly and is just all around, good, durable stuff. I don't put it in the dishwasher and I am not sure what the manufacturer recommends, but I do not. I am building my set, slow but sure as it is expensive, but I will also get to leave it to someone who will appreciate when my time here is done - that and my wonderful Kitchen-Aid.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite cookware Reply with quote

cmcconomy wrote:
3. Thin northern-style cast-iron wok, stir fries and various chinese dishes. It was a real eye-opener to discover how delicate cast iron can be!,

That sounds interesting -- 'cept I imagine you need gas which I don't have. Sounds like a thinner version of the Indian 'karai'?

cmcconomy wrote:
it's an older style of Calphalon spatula which is both strong and flexible,

LOL, I've got a spatula like that and I'll be devastated if it ever breaks too!

My favorite bit of cookware, excluding my chef's knife, is an 8" stainless steel Farberware skillet. The old kind, with the heavy aluminium base. I scrub it after every use with an abrasive powder so it's as smooth as glass.
ejq75

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: My favorite pot or pan Reply with quote

10" Calaphon nonstick. It is a very heavy pan that heats fast and evenly.
suzwilson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Favorite pan Reply with quote

hands-down it's my 3 qt. All-Clad saucier.
Bryan_W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my cast iron skillet because it's the only one I have that's oven safe.
njampani

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Favorite pot and pan Reply with quote

My favorite pot is farberware classic 51/2 quart saucepot. I had this pot for more than 9 years now and undoubtedly I can say that I have cooked some great meals using this pot. My family's favorite is the chicken curry that I make in this pot.
S40440

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Favorite Pan Reply with quote

My favorite pan is a 10" cast iron. It's my goto pan for almost anything.
dsbernhardt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: I'm a cast iron kid Reply with quote

I love my 10" cast iron skillets. There's always one or more of these versatile pans on my stove. I use them to cook everything breakfast (bacon, eggs, sausage, pancakes, fried potatoes), most things meat (burgers, chops, steaks, pot roast) many things bread (cornbread, rolls, dill bread), and even some things dessert (fancy apple tarte).

Not only do my cast iron skillets and chicken fryer fill many purposes, they have been doing so for decades (one, I believe, for over a century), and are better than new.

Sure, there are a few things that cast iron is not good for (tomato and other acidic sauces, and soups). For those things, I'd think that a nice stainless steel set, with some thick bottoms and little copper would just do the trick. My own non-cast iron choice is Farberware, from back when I got married 30 years ago (Newer stuff doesn't look quite as sturdy).

I'd like to win the lovely stainless for my daughter -- I already found her a cast iron skillet.
iliadawry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a cast iron skillet, and I love it to itty bitty pieces. I'm used to cheap cookware; while this piece technically isn't any more expensive, it reacts more like I'd imagine quality pieces would. My home fries are delicious!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: