Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ Wings: the Last Touch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: BBQ Wings: the Last Touch Reply with quote

I just found this site and after skimming a few posts I am hoping that someone who remembers chemistry better than I do can help out. I am working on wings on the grill. I've got the brine and the rub down. I want a sweet crunchy outer shell as a finish, in part because the heat goes to the bone and is cumulative. If the wings are a little sweet up front then even those folks who claim no tolerance for spicy will come back for seconds (I use my wife as a litmus test). My basic idea is to hit the wings with a "sugar" as they come off the grill and then use a torch (MAP gas currently) to melt the sugar which then spreads out and when it cools... sweet crunchy goodness.

My first attempt turned out sweeter than I wanted. The thought was to use turbinado, in part so I could visually see the crystals melt down, but getting it to adhere was problematic. So I applied some honey to the wings, torched it to thin it, sprinkled it with the sugar and torched it again until the crystals melted (which is awesome on multiple levels, the first being my wife is OK with a torch for change). This created the desired effect however, the combination of the 2 is too sweet.

I am considering caramelizing the sugar the old fashion way and brushing it on but fundamental laziness and some assumed logistics problems are providing significant resistance to the idea. Any one up for suggestions?
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks you have too much water in them thar wings.

Sounds stupid, but dry them off with paper towel before applying some sugar?

You might also dry them off, apply a really thin spritz of cornstarch and water, and then sugar them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum